Trump signals growing weariness with ‘social distancing’ and other steps advocated by health officials

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

President Trump is signaling interest in scaling back “social distancing” and other steps promoted by health officials to contain the novel coronavirus as a growing number of conservatives argue that impact on the U.S. economy has become too severe.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF,” Trump said in a late-night tweet Sunday written in capital letters. “AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ce=twitter
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The Health Officials in Canada have changed the term now. It is no longer "social distancing" it is now "physical distancing" they are saying it is a more meaningful term as it is about physical distancing and not social. We can still be social with things like Facetime, emails, and phone calls, while practicing physical distancing. You can still go out and talk with the person in front of you in line while maintaining physical distancing.

The longer this goes on the more we will develop a weariness in it. We who practice this and feel fine will start to crave the social aspect of life. It will not be over in 15 days and we are just kidding ourselves if we think it will. These complete lock downs of states/provinces/cities will do nothing unless entire country adheres to the exact same measure. Then we need to look at the people who are coming back from different countries, we need to ensure these people go into self-isolation. I think we need to put these people into areas where they can be watched and monitored, like we did with the cruise ship passengers. Sorry I went off on a tangent and really did not address your post.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am The Health Officials in Canada have changed the term now. It is no longer "social distancing" it is now "physical distancing" they are saying it is a more meaningful term as it is about physical distancing and not social. We can still be social with things like Facetime, emails, and phone calls, while practicing physical distancing. You can still go out and talk with the person in front of you in line while maintaining physical distancing.

The longer this goes on the more we will develop a weariness in it. We who practice this and feel fine will start to crave the social aspect of life. It will not be over in 15 days and we are just kidding ourselves if we think it will. These complete lock downs of states/provinces/cities will do nothing unless entire country adheres to the exact same measure. Then we need to look at the people who are coming back from different countries, we need to ensure these people go into self-isolation. I think we need to put these people into areas where they can be watched and monitored, like we did with the cruise ship passengers. Sorry I went off on a tangent and really did not address your post.
Yeah, I thought it odd that the government basically force quarantined the cruise ship people, but they're not going to for all the people they're essentially bailing out.. but yes, I agree if people don't adhere to the guidelines it won't help much.

We should definitely be reassessing the situation often to see if we need to be taking further steps or we can ease up. I don't think it will be better in 2 weeks time. Not even close.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I guess at a time like this I'm happy I'm a recluse.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This will be a very bad move if he decides to lift this because he doesn't like seeing unemployment continue to rise. Just look at Spain and Italy - major fatalities and the numbers still rising because they did not act soon enough to distance people. We can recover financially. We can loan businesses money or support them with grants. You can't reverse the permanent lung damage some suffer from this virus or bring back lost family members.

cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oh my ... that is heartbreaking.

We’re heading in that very direction where probability of survival will determine who gets a vent.

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:43 am This will be a very bad move if he decides to lift this because he doesn't like seeing unemployment continue to rise. Just look at Spain and Italy - major fatalities and the numbers still rising because they did not act soon enough to distance people. We can recover financially. We can loan businesses money or support them with grants. You can't reverse the permanent lung damage some suffer from this virus or bring back lost family members.

cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This is the reason why trump should not tweet anything about the virus. He’s not a physician. His words carry weight and will encourage many to dismiss the recommendations.

As it is, some are believing there’s already s cure due to his hydrochlorequine and erythromycin tweet.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:43 am This will be a very bad move if he decides to lift this because he doesn't like seeing unemployment continue to rise. Just look at Spain and Italy - major fatalities and the numbers still rising because they did not act soon enough to distance people. We can recover financially. We can loan businesses money or support them with grants. You can't reverse the permanent lung damage some suffer from this virus or bring back lost family members.

IMO, he's going to leave it to states/municipalities to decide on what kind of restrictions on business and travel they want to place. States with higher population density will probably enact strict lockdowns while states with lower density will reduce restrictions. This is stupid because the virus doesn't recognize state lines but it gives Trump the ability to blame higher density states and municipalities (generally blue btw) for the economic crash.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I thought we should wait until enough states shut down for the federal government to close all the states down, but I've rethought that. I wish he'd go ahead and do it.

Keep the medical, food, and essential items operating
Keep the interstates open for essential personnel and trucks/shippers.
Keep the truck stops open for fuel, food delivery to the trucks, and shower facilities.
Keep grocery stores and pharmacies open or at least help them ramp up pick-up.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Trump's decisions are based on how it affects him and his re-election first and foremost. Today is the first day the deaths are over 100 in one day. And he's itching to get going on his rallies.
Locked Previous topicNext topic