Louisianna virus spikes weeks after Mardi Gras

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Celebrations for Mardi Gras may have caused New Orleans to be the fastest growing hot spot for the Covid 19 virus. People gathering in large groups, then returning home afterward may have also carried the virus to their home states.

Within the first two weeks of March, Louisiana had "the fastest growth rate" of confirmed coronavirus cases in the world, as the governor warns that the state could become "the next Italy" unless dramatic containment efforts are supported by immediate federal aid.

The state has confirmed more than 1,300 confirmed Covid-19 cases and at least 46 deaths, as of Tuesday, with roughly half of all cases coming from New Orleans and neighbouring Jefferson Parish.

The rate of infection in New Orleans rivals counties across New York state despite having a fraction of the population. New Orleans also has more than double the number of total cases than all of Los Angeles county, which is more than 20 times larger.

Within a week, the state had reported more than 1,000 new cases after reporting fewer than 100, a "ten time increase in seven days", Governor John Bel Edwards said at a press conference on Sunday.
https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-loui ... 37594.html
Deleted User 638

Unread post

They think the first person in our state to test positive got it during Mardi Gras.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Well duh. People come from all over the world to attend Mardi Gras. And then they disperse, and spread it far and wide. It is far too late to be doing all this "stay at home" stuff. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the country has been exposed to some extent or another, unless they're living in a cave and have had zero contact with humanity since last July.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Not surprising at all. Unfortunately.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I noticed the numbers and figured that is what happened. The scare was around Mardi Gras and thats A LOT of people in a small area.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm Well duh. People come from all over the world to attend Mardi Gras. And then they disperse, and spread it far and wide. It is far too late to be doing all this "stay at home" stuff. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the country has been exposed to some extent or another, unless they're living in a cave and have had zero contact with humanity since last July.
There’s no indication it’s been around in China, let alone the United States, since July. All this “stay at home stuff” is the only way China and Italy got a handle on it once it spread, and the United States looks to be on a similar path.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:51 pm Well duh. People come from all over the world to attend Mardi Gras. And then they disperse, and spread it far and wide. It is far too late to be doing all this "stay at home" stuff. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the country has been exposed to some extent or another, unless they're living in a cave and have had zero contact with humanity since last July.

It's not too late. The more people who stay at home the less infected.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wait until the seniors who winter in Florida return back to their home states in a few weeks. Michigan is already hard hit but Canada will sure feel it.
Mrs.ChuckBass
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 pm
There’s no indication it’s been around in China, let alone the United States, since July. All this “stay at home stuff” is the only way China and Italy got a handle on it once it spread, and the United States looks to be on a similar path.
I think its been around a lot longer than we are being told.
in October a month after returning to the university for fall semester, I got really sick
massive fatigue
I had to focus on breathing in itself
I literally couldn't do anything but sit on the couch and focus on breathing for weeks.
thank god I had a friend who was staying with me and helping because I literally couldn't do anything.
upper chest infection the doctor said.
no tests or anything
light antibiotic

it took MONTHS to recover.
I now wonder? because in the fall all of our international students came back and we have a lot of them...many people have reported the same sort of illness over fall and winter here.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mrs.ChuckBass wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 pm
I think its been around a lot longer than we are being told.
in October a month after returning to the university for fall semester, I got really sick
massive fatigue
I had to focus on breathing in itself
I literally couldn't do anything but sit on the couch and focus on breathing for weeks.
thank god I had a friend who was staying with me and helping because I literally couldn't do anything.
upper chest infection the doctor said.
no tests or anything
light antibiotic

it took MONTHS to recover.
I now wonder? because in the fall all of our international students came back and we have a lot of them...many people have reported the same sort of illness over fall and winter here.
It looks like researchers are interested in widespread testing as they’ll know who is immune and who isn’t and to help trace the virus, so hopefully we can find out one way or the other: https://www.wired.com/story/researchers ... -strategy/
Locked Previous topicNext topic