Should the federal government issue a national forced quarantine?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:17 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Half of my family history is from Scotland; the other have England. Throughout school, probably like many British students, our geography and social studies went far beyond our own borders, not like some school systems in some countries. :)
The native language in the Nova Scotia area went from French to English around the 1940’s give or take a decade. The schools in that area no longer allowed children from French speaking families to speak French at school. Government records went from French to English. That’s the time period I was thinking of.
I am not sure where you are getting that history from. While I was born in Quebec, I was raised in Nova Scotia from about age 11 until I left in my early 20's. Almost nobody I knew spoke French, had French families or any French speaking heritage. Officially and historically, French settlers where only in one small port in the earliest years in the 1600's before Nova Scotia was even known to Europe. In the mid 1750's, that small group of French settlers were deported or dispersed.

Other than the very sparse small pockets of Nova Scotian's with Acadien roots, the only French in the province are modern day Canadians whom moved from the north shores of New Brunswick or Quebec for reasons of employment or education. Having traveled all through Nova Scotia, I found no historical references to anything French at all. As for Canada as a whole, Canada is an English speaking nation with only about 20 percent of the population French speaking. In our generation, I would be surprised if you could travel anywhere in Canada and not find an English speaking Canadian, regardless of their mother tongue.
My grandma! Searching the old records in Nova Scotia on her family, they were all written in French until they switched over to English around 1940, give or take. We did the ancestry search and they came to Canada from France in the 1600’s. Her family only spoke French, no English. When she went to school, the French speakers were forbidden to speak their language in school. My grandmother learned English but the older members of the family never did.
Locked Previous topicNext topic