Politically charged Oscars hit all-time low rating, plummet almost 6 million viewers from 2019

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Viewership has been on the decline for over a decade. I stopped watching when the show went on for 8 days instead of 2 hours years ago. The Tony is a lot more fun to watch than the Oscars. Especially when Neil Patric Harris is hosting.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I religiously watched the Oscars when I was a tween through my 20s. Then life got busy and I didn't follow movies or actors so much. In my 30s it was just Disney on my watch list. Up until a few years ago, I didn't even know half the actors presenting or winning so wasn't important to me. My DD is into film and she got me back into watching and subsequently back into watching the Oscars. They have been political forever so that doesn't bother me.

I have always watched or looked on line at the red carpet.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just don’t understand why Kim K West and Kanye were at the Oscars. However, she looked great in that dress.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 pm
AngelicUnicorn wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 am
AZLizardLady wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:27 pm At one time, the Academy Awards were fun to watch as were many other award shows. They were glamorous and for a short time...the length of the televised show....you got to feel that you were a small part of their world.

Today, I have just lost all interest. Yes, a part of it are the political speeches which are far more frequent than they once were. In fact, you just really seldom heard about a celebrity's politics, especially when it came time to winning an award, and going up on stage to thank people.

I'm not surprised that the viewing percentages are done. I do think a part of it might has to do with these almost expected political speeches (now) upon winning some of them give. But too, there are far more options on TV now than ever before.
I used to watch the award shows, especially for music, but stopped when they started using that platform to express their political views. I watched for the entertainment value. If I want political opinions, I can turn the tv channel to FOX or CNN. It has been so long since I last watched an awards show, I don’t even pay attention to when they are on. Plus, any more those shows go on forever.
Well, that's pretty much how I feel when it comes to these shows and political viewpoints.

It's not that I feel celebrities should keep their political and social opinions to themselves. But why be so polarizing while people in the audience HAVE TO listen because you've won and you're now on the stage? Kwim?

Honestly, too and with respect to music award shows, I feel out of the loop. Many a time has come when we used to watch the different music award shows that I'd find myself asking my kid's..."who the heck is that," and subsequently feeling older than dust. lol
It’s been a very long time since I have even heard of the movies nominated. We’re not big movie people.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 203

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:59 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:31 pm
AngelicUnicorn wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 am

I used to watch the award shows, especially for music, but stopped when they started using that platform to express their political views. I watched for the entertainment value. If I want political opinions, I can turn the tv channel to FOX or CNN. It has been so long since I last watched an awards show, I don’t even pay attention to when they are on. Plus, any more those shows go on forever.
Well, that's pretty much how I feel when it comes to these shows and political viewpoints.

It's not that I feel celebrities should keep their political and social opinions to themselves. But why be so polarizing while people in the audience HAVE TO listen because you've won and you're now on the stage? Kwim?

Honestly, too and with respect to music award shows, I feel out of the loop. Many a time has come when we used to watch the different music award shows that I'd find myself asking my kid's..."who the heck is that," and subsequently feeling older than dust. lol
It’s been a very long time since I have even heard of the movies nominated. We’re not big movie people.
Either we haven't heard of them or we haven't seen them in most instances.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’ve never cared to watch any awards show. Used to watch the MTV video music awards in jr high and high school but haven’t watched a single other awards show.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've never cared enough to watch any of those awards.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I didn't watch. I never really was big into award shows anyway. I remember as a kid vaguely watching some of the different ones with my older sisters. They were into it.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
YoYiggy
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, but that has more so to do with lack of diversity.
YoYiggy
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, but that has more so to do with lack of diversity in general.
Locked Previous topicNext topic