Japanese fashion house accused of cultural appropriation

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Never mind the fact (IMO) that these corn rows wigs look hideous, but is this really cultural appropriation in your opinion(s)? Was it a racist show?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/japan ... rnrow-wigs

I don't seem to recall back in the day when Bo Derek looked amazing in corn rows for the movie "10."
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

That has got to be the ugliest wig I have ever seen. Omg
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No appropriation. But the uproar with Bo as she was credited with cornrows and that was wrong. And Bo never corrected the situation. This could be why cultural appropriation is used.
AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm Never mind the fact (IMO) that these corn rows wigs look hideous, but is this really cultural appropriation in your opinion(s)? Was it a racist show?

I don't seem to recall back in the day when Bo Derek looked amazing in corn rows for the movie "10."
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think all cultures had some type of close to scalp braids. I know the Vikings did.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Japan is a very homogeneous society, ethnic groups aren't constantly competing there because there's basically just one- Japanese (98.1%). "cultural appropriation" is a foreign concept there. They for example don't care if westerners wear Kimono. It's Just SJWs in the west who give a shit about these things and tend to be outraged on behalf of others.

Kind of ironic that these SJWs are forcing THEIR culture on another.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:50 pm Japan is a very homogeneous society, ethnic groups aren't constantly competing there because there's basically just one- Japanese (98.1%). "cultural appropriation" is a foreign concept there. They for example don't care if westerners wear Kimono. It's Just SJWs in the west who give a shit about these things and tend to be outraged on behalf of others.

I know a lot of Japanese people who care very much if white westerners wear kimonos as a fashion or as dressup... don't talk for a whole country.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

See? I was a young girl when "10" came out and I don't remember any uproar about Bo Derek's hairstyle and in fact, I remember a lot of women beginning to imitate the look.

hotspice58 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm No appropriation. But the uproar with Bo as she was credited with cornrows and that was wrong. And Bo never corrected the situation. This could be why cultural appropriation is used.
AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm Never mind the fact (IMO) that these corn rows wigs look hideous, but is this really cultural appropriation in your opinion(s)? Was it a racist show?

Deleted User 203

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm I think all cultures had some type of close to scalp braids. I know the Vikings did.
Ahh...very true.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Because there is not a lot of racial diversity in Japan, things like cultural appropriation of black culture isn't something that a lot of people are familiar with, so the common public is ignorant of the subject and do not understand why it would be wrong. It is something that the country has room to grow on.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm
water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:50 pm Japan is a very homogeneous society, ethnic groups aren't constantly competing there because there's basically just one- Japanese (98.1%). "cultural appropriation" is a foreign concept there. They for example don't care if westerners wear Kimono. It's Just SJWs in the west who give a shit about these things and tend to be outraged on behalf of others.

I know a lot of Japanese people who care very much if white westerners wear kimonos as a fashion or as dressup... don't talk for a whole country.
yes, yes we all know *YOU * are offended, you are western regardless of your ethnicity. and of course I have to put in a disclaimer for you obtuse ones,- there are always exceptions- there.

My Japanese family would disagree with you and it is not the norm in their culture to be offended by it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic