Japanese fashion house accused of cultural appropriation

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm Because there is not a lot of racial diversity in Japan, things like cultural appropriation of black culture isn't something that a lot of people are familiar with, so the common public is ignorant of the subject and do not understand why it would be wrong. It is something that the country has room to grow on.
SO you balked at what I said then proceeded to concur and state almost the exact same thing except you just have to specify "a lot of people" rather than "people in general" because broad generalizations are bad unless they're about white people, amirite? Why am I not surprised?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:00 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm
water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:50 pm Japan is a very homogeneous society, ethnic groups aren't constantly competing there because there's basically just one- Japanese (98.1%). "cultural appropriation" is a foreign concept there. They for example don't care if westerners wear Kimono. It's Just SJWs in the west who give a shit about these things and tend to be outraged on behalf of others.

Kind of ironic that these SJWs are forcing THEIR culture on another.
I know a lot of Japanese people who care very much if white westerners wear kimonos as a fashion or as dressup... don't talk for a whole country.
yes, yes we all know *YOU * are offended, you are western regardless of your ethnicity. and of course I have to put in a disclaimer for you obtuse ones,- there are always exceptions- there.

My Japanese family would disagree with you and it is not the norm in their culture to be offended by it.
I didn't say I was offended. I said that I know many people in Japan who are offended. Half my family is Japanese and live in Japan. I have many friends there. I highly doubt just about everyone I know there, out of those dozens of people, all happen to be exceptions. They are offended by it. Your family doesn't speak for everyone in the country.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:02 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm Because there is not a lot of racial diversity in Japan, things like cultural appropriation of black culture isn't something that a lot of people are familiar with, so the common public is ignorant of the subject and do not understand why it would be wrong. It is something that the country has room to grow on.
SO you balked at what I said then proceeded to concur and state almost the exact same thing except you just have to specify "a lot of people" rather than "people in general" because broad generalizations are bad unless they're about white people, amirite? Why am I not surprised?
I disagreed with your statement about all Japanese people not feelings offended by kimonos. That is the only part of your post I commented on. I didn't say a word about kimonos in this response. Therefore, no, I did not concur and state the same thing that I "balked" about in your response. Sorry you missed that.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm

I know a lot of Japanese people who care very much if white westerners wear kimonos as a fashion or as dressup... don't talk for a whole country.
yes, yes we all know *YOU * are offended, you are western regardless of your ethnicity. and of course I have to put in a disclaimer for you obtuse ones,- there are always exceptions- there.

My Japanese family would disagree with you and it is not the norm in their culture to be offended by it.
I didn't say I was offended. I said that I know many people in Japan who are offended. Half my family is Japanese and live in Japan. I have many friends there. I highly doubt just about everyone I know there, out of those dozens of people, all happen to be exceptions. They are offended by it. Your family doesn't speak for everyone in the country.
It's pretty obvious you meant yourself and based on the SJW beliefs you spout, I am not surprised the inner circle of people you associate with are the same, as uncommon as they may be. So now you live in Japan? didn't you recently post that your kids take their grandparents out and translate things in English for them? why is that necessary in Japan?
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No race of people "owns" cornrows ffs. If you feel the need to get offended that someone is wearing cornrows and they don't have the "proper" color of skin, you're a racist.
KAG
Mean Girl
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:32 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm

It's pretty obvious you meant yourself and based on the SJW beliefs you spout, I am not surprised the inner circle of people you associate with are the same, as uncommon as they may be. So now you live in Japan? didn't you recently post that your kids take their grandparents out and translate things in English for them? why is that necessary in Japan?
No... "I know lots of people in Japan" does not mean myself, don't know where your confusion is there. No, I don't live in Japan, because once again, I am not talking about myself. But there are handy modern things called phones and computers that allow me to communicate with my family and friends in japan.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 am

Because the YouTubes is always right. I just actually facepalmed.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I am thinking people in Japan don’t care. It seems like cultural appropriation is a problem exclusive to the west.

There wasn’t an issue with Bo Derek and her hair, other than it was hideous style. People were more focused on the movie as a whole. A movie, I don’t even remember.
Progress, not perfection.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:45 pm
water<wine wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:57 am

Because the YouTubes is always right. I just actually facepalmed.
You Tube can be educational, as long as you pick and choose credible channels.
Progress, not perfection.
Locked Previous topicNext topic