Japanese fashion house accused of cultural appropriation

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

I think cultural appropriations is beyond ridiculous like most liberal attacks these days.
Seriously what in the hell is the worst that could possibly happen with it?
Does the world end? Does that particular culture drop off the face of the earth?
I mean really....what happens?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:32 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm
water<wine wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:00 pm

yes, yes we all know *YOU * are offended, you are western regardless of your ethnicity. and of course I have to put in a disclaimer for you obtuse ones,- there are always exceptions- there.

My Japanese family would disagree with you and it is not the norm in their culture to be offended by it.
I didn't say I was offended. I said that I know many people in Japan who are offended. Half my family is Japanese and live in Japan. I have many friends there. I highly doubt just about everyone I know there, out of those dozens of people, all happen to be exceptions. They are offended by it. Your family doesn't speak for everyone in the country.
It's pretty obvious you meant yourself and based on the SJW beliefs you spout, I am not surprised the inner circle of people you associate with are the same, as uncommon as they may be. So now you live in Japan? didn't you recently post that your kids take their grandparents out and translate things in English for them? why is that necessary in Japan?
I’m half Japanese so I’ll chime in on this. You are correct, it is a very homogeneous culture/society and a lot of it has been preserved after immigration to the US for the reason and it is not as diluted as people who immigrated many generations ago.

So yes, there are a lot differences but just because we aren’t from or live in Japan does not mean we can’t speak on our culture or people as we most certainly can. :-)

Yes, many Japanese do eye roll Americans for overusing kimonos, ninjas, samurai, etc. or general confusion about different Asian cultures.

Your family may not be offended by it but Oli is correct that many don’t care for it.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Never corrected which situation?
hotspice58 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm No appropriation. But the uproar with Bo as she was credited with cornrows and that was wrong. And Bo never corrected the situation. This could be why cultural appropriation is used.
AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm Never mind the fact (IMO) that these corn rows wigs look hideous, but is this really cultural appropriation in your opinion(s)? Was it a racist show?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/japan ... rnrow-wigs

I don't seem to recall back in the day when Bo Derek looked amazing in corn rows for the movie "10."
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Deleted User 670

Unread post

They should be accused of crimes against fashion. That stuff is hideous.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You were young. People may have imitated the style but Bo should not have been credited with it,

AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:54 pm See? I was a young girl when "10" came out and I don't remember any uproar about Bo Derek's hairstyle and in fact, I remember a lot of women beginning to imitate the look.

hotspice58 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:36 pm No appropriation. But the uproar with Bo as she was credited with cornrows and that was wrong. And Bo never corrected the situation. This could be why cultural appropriation is used.
AZLizardLady wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 pm Never mind the fact (IMO) that these corn rows wigs look hideous, but is this really cultural appropriation in your opinion(s)? Was it a racist show?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/japan ... rnrow-wigs

I don't seem to recall back in the day when Bo Derek looked amazing in corn rows for the movie "10."
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Leave it to Fox News to jump on the story so their viewers can have something to be outraged over. Some random people on the internet have all kinds of opinions on all kinds of stuff. Not exactly a big story.

Comme de garcon was actually going for an "Egyptian Prince" look and twisted it in the name of fashion. If you look at their fashion shows over the years they always have bizarre head pieces.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don’t believe in the concept of “cultural appropriation” to begin with. Just more nonsense invented by delicate snowflakes who need to find things to be offended by. Since the beginnings of societies, different groups have icen and taken to other cultures. It’s so idiotic to think that’s wrong.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm Leave it to Fox News to jump on the story so their viewers can have something to be outraged over. Some random people on the internet have all kinds of opinions on all kinds of stuff. Not exactly a big story.

Comme de garcon was actually going for an "Egyptian Prince" look and twisted it in the name of fashion. If you look at their fashion shows over the years they always have bizarre head pieces.
Fox is being messy because I have not heard a word about this outside of this article to justify claims if outrage.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:20 pm Leave it to Fox News to jump on the story so their viewers can have something to be outraged over. Some random people on the internet have all kinds of opinions on all kinds of stuff. Not exactly a big story.

Fox is being messy because I have not heard a word about this outside of this article to justify claims if outrage.
Fox News doesn’t typically cover fashion. The NYT and Washington Post does and I love looking at the pictures of the runways. It’s like works of art. When I first saw the pictures I thought of Egyptian headpieces because of the shapes and they put a twist on them with the tiny braids.

Fox News only wrote about it to give the base a reason to try and ridicule “the left” . And they fell for it. It’s also the reason Fox obsessively follows AOC. Divisiveness sells newspapers for them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic