Kathy Bates on MeToo: 'In my day, if you went to a guy’s hotel room, you knew why you were going'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

A pattern of behavior for Weinstein in particular was to arrange to have these women meet him at the bar or restaurant of the hotel he was at. then when they got there, the meet had been moved to his room, but there were other people there, then the other people disappear. it is manipulative and deliberate. S*x isn’t really consensual if saying no isn’t a comfortable and safe option.
iamanon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:23 pm Even these days women who accept the invite to a man's room know what to expect. And yet they go and mysteriously once in the room they lose their ability to say NO, they also evidently lose the capability to walk away. Shocking really, I mean they have consensual S*x then cry foul....i just don't get it.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Offering someone a job for S*x is morally questionable on its own, but surely you understand how “I’ll give you a job if you have S*x with me” is different from “I’ll destroy your career if you don’t have S*x with me”?
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm
iamanon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:35 pm

It was consensual. They made the decision that their careers were more important than anything so they CHOSE to sleep with them. Consensual.
Unless someone threatens you with death...its consensual.
I’m trying to understand how having S*x with someone who gives that person something in return is rape. Isn’t that exactly what a prostitute does? People argue prostitution should be legal. A woman should be able to do what she wants with her body. I don’t agree with prostitution but I don’t see it as rape.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:34 pm Offering someone a job for S*x is morally questionable on its own, but surely you understand how “I’ll give you a job if you have S*x with me” is different from “I’ll destroy your career if you don’t have S*x with me”?
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:01 pm

I’m trying to understand how having S*x with someone who gives that person something in return is rape. Isn’t that exactly what a prostitute does? People argue prostitution should be legal. A woman should be able to do what she wants with her body. I don’t agree with prostitution but I don’t see it as rape.
Both scenarios require a decision to be made from the woman. Both scenarios are morally questionable. Neither is rape.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 pm
moviestar wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:34 pm Offering someone a job for S*x is morally questionable on its own, but surely you understand how “I’ll give you a job if you have S*x with me” is different from “I’ll destroy your career if you don’t have S*x with me”?

Both scenarios require a decision to be made from the woman. Both scenarios are morally questionable. Neither is rape.
In most states, consent cannot be given in cases of coercion, intimidation, or threat. "Have S*x with me or your career is over; have S*x with me or I'll physically hurt you; have S*x with me or I'll kill you" are all considered equal as far as a rape charge.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

In most states, consent cannot be given in cases of coercion, intimidation, or threat. "Have S*x with me or your career is over; have S*x with me or I'll physically hurt you; have S*x with me or I'll kill you" are all considered equal as far as a rape charge.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It's one thing to know why you're going to the guy's hotel room. It's another thing when, in my case, the woman says no, gets relentlessly harassed for it and in the end is the one fired. So Idk what Ms. Bates is referring to but she's an idiot.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:59 pm
I agree with the last two being rape. IMO
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Me Too is also about sexual harassment, not necessarily rape. And the number of posts here, that that just casually dismiss sexual harassment, suggesting that a female should be shamed & blamed because she struggled to just walk away from a career & financial security when placed in a ILLEGAL SITUATION FROM A MALE IN POWER, is disgusting to me.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

coerced consent isn’t consent. it is rape.

BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:29 pm coerced consent isn’t consent. it is rape.
I agree that it’s morally wrong. I disagree that it’s rape even if some laws in some places call it rape. A woman has a choice and a voice. She can practice using both.
Locked Previous topicNext topic