Kathy Bates on MeToo: 'In my day, if you went to a guy’s hotel room, you knew why you were going'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/kat ... 06307.html
Bates said: “In my day, if you went up to a guy’s hotel room, you knew exactly why you were going and in those days it was consensual.

“Times were different, but I really support the women who are coming forward now and I’m not happy about the men who are being accused falsely – but the ones who deserve all they’re getting, my feeling is hey, go for it.”
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Even these days women who accept the invite to a man's room know what to expect. And yet they go and mysteriously once in the room they lose their ability to say NO, they also evidently lose the capability to walk away. Shocking really, I mean they have consensual S*x then cry foul....i just don't get it.
AngelicUnicorn
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I think that is a pretty standard thing, even today. Of course, that doesn’t excuse the guy for his actions, but come on. Use your brain, ladies.
Progress, not perfection.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Back when I was young, I knew what it meant. And still today, I know what it means. How does someone NOT know what it means? I was very much sheltered growing up, and I still figured that shit out real quick!
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

AngelicUnicorn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:26 pm I think that is a pretty standard thing, even today. Of course, that doesn’t excuse the guy for his actions, but come on. Use your brain, ladies.
What?
They guy wants S*x. The women who accept his invitation to his room know that. The woman makes her own decision to go to his room knowing full well what his expectations are. What actions does he have to excuse?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Bates says "Bates said: “In my day, if you went up to a guy’s hotel room, you knew exactly why you were going and in those days it was consensual."

I don't think it was as consensual as she thinks it was. Women were still coerced into going. They felt that their careers were on the line. So it was either go up into that hotel room and debase themselves or 'never work in Hollywood again'. I'm sure more than a few were threatened that they'd be ruined and never find work if they didn't go. And that's not consent.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:35 pm
AngelicUnicorn wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:26 pm I think that is a pretty standard thing, even today. Of course, that doesn’t excuse the guy for his actions, but come on. Use your brain, ladies.
What?
They guy wants S*x. The women who accept his invitation to his room know that. The woman makes her own decision to go to his room knowing full well what his expectations are. What actions does he have to excuse?
Both parties know. Having regrets later and saying it was non-consensual doesn't change that. The only action for which he could be excused is for asking that particular woman to come visit him. But that is a hindsight thing.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:52 pm Bates says "Bates said: “In my day, if you went up to a guy’s hotel room, you knew exactly why you were going and in those days it was consensual."

I don't think it was as consensual as she thinks it was. Women were still coerced into going. They felt that their careers were on the line. So it was either go up into that hotel room and debase themselves or 'never work in Hollywood again'. I'm sure more than a few were threatened that they'd be ruined and never find work if they didn't go. And that's not consent.
It was consensual. They made the decision that their careers were more important than anything so they CHOSE to sleep with them. Consensual.
Unless someone threatens you with death...its consensual.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:35 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:52 pm Bates says "Bates said: “In my day, if you went up to a guy’s hotel room, you knew exactly why you were going and in those days it was consensual."

It was consensual. They made the decision that their careers were more important than anything so they CHOSE to sleep with them. Consensual.
Unless someone threatens you with death...its consensual.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I read somewhere (AP or NYT) that many starlets were met by a female assistant at the lobby, as Harvey led them to believe that this assistant would remain present during the meeting and somewhere public, lije a restaurant or conference room. Apparently it’s customary that an assistant hangs out to make notes. In this case, it was different. The assistant took them to the room, hung out fir a bit, then left. The starlet would remain, feeling uncomfortable. It was when Harvey threatened their careers that some would give. It was not in the agreement to go to a hotel.

Locked Previous topicNext topic