Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds under a deal struck Saturday for them to step aside as senior royals, Buckingham Palace said Saturday..

The palace said Harry and Meghan will cease to be working members of the royal family when the new arrangements take effect in “spring 2020.” They will be known as Harry, Duke and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

The couple will no longer use the titles His Royal Highness and Her Royal Highness, but they are not being stripped of them. Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne.

The agreement also calls for Meghan and Harry to repay 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million) in taxpayers’ money that was spent renovating their home near Windsor Castle.

The couple’s departure is a wrench for the royal family, but Queen Elizabeth II had warm words for them in a statement Saturday.

The queen said she was pleased that “together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.”

https://apnews.com/5bfcbf944904be1ce273d2d14618b624
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It’s good to see them forced to repay the tax payers money.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:30 pm It’s good to see them forced to repay the tax payers money.
I agree! I was surprised at that. I wonder how no longer being royal will do to their “Sussex Royal” brand and trademark.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:30 pm It’s good to see them forced to repay the tax payers money.
I agree! I was surprised at that. I wonder how no longer being royal will do to their “Sussex Royal” brand and trademark.
I suspect no at all.
He is still 6th in line to the throne and in historical context that isn’t far fetched he could be King one day. (Reference King Henry VII. He was 5th in line when circumstances allowed his ascension).

Plus they are not losing their titles - they will remain the Duke and Dutchess of Sussex.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

i was just reading that Meghan has “expressed interest” in a £21 million beachfront estate in Canada. That would take most of their combined fortune.

It’s unsure if they will still get the around $2.4 million a year that they considered “private income” from Charles. The way I understood it was that money paid their expenses for their household and offices. The bills were sent to Charles.

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Oh, I didn't consider that. Will they be able to continue to use the Royal? I know they will be able to keep the Sussex part, as they will continue to be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but the Royal part is now not so accurate.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:40 pm
I suspect no at all.
He is still 6th in line to the throne and in historical context that isn’t far fetched he could be King one day. (Reference King Henry VII. He was 5th in line when circumstances allowed his ascension).

Plus they are not losing their titles - they will remain the Duke and Dutchess of Sussex.
Yes and no. He’s still in line but they did lose the HRH title, and technically are still members of the family but no longer “royal.”

From the queen’s statement:

"With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations," Buckingham Palace's statement continued. "While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty. The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home."

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I suspect no at all.

So long as his brother and his children don't suffer from unfortunate accidents, he will not get the throne. I'm thinking I heard/read somewhere that Prince Charles won't take it, doesn't want it, or something like that. And lately, I've been wondering why the Queen hasn't stepped down to let her grandson take over. William seems quite able to take over, he isn't a youngster.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:47 pm

I suspect no at all.

Yes and no. He’s still in line but they did lose the HRH title, and technically are still members of the family but no longer “royal.”

From the queen’s statement:

"With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations," Buckingham Palace's statement continued. "While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty. The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home."
So they get to keep the cottage, they just have to actually pay for it now. Just like a normal person does!
Expand your thinking

Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:41 pm
Oh, I didn't consider that. Will they be able to continue to use the Royal? I know they will be able to keep the Sussex part, as they will continue to be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but the Royal part is now not so accurate.
That’s kind of fuzzy to me reading the articles. Both are from the AP but by different people.

I did read another article that it is actually unconstitutional for royals to live or have residency in Canada. If someone receives a title from the U.K. they must relinquish their Canadian citizenship. Right now Meghan is a US citizen and Harry has UK citizenship.

Locked Previous topicNext topic