Prince Harry, Meghan to give up ‘royal highness’ titles

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:48 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:40 pm
DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm

I agree! I was surprised at that. I wonder how no longer being royal will do to their “Sussex Royal” brand and trademark.
I suspect no at all.
He is still 6th in line to the throne and in historical context that isn’t far fetched he could be King one day. (Reference King Henry VII. He was 5th in line when circumstances allowed his ascension).

Plus they are not losing their titles - they will remain the Duke and Dutchess of Sussex.
So long as his brother and his children don't suffer from unfortunate accidents, he will not get the throne. I'm thinking I heard/read somewhere that Prince Charles won't take it, doesn't want it, or something like that. And lately, I've been wondering why the Queen hasn't stepped down to let her grandson take over. William seems quite able to take over, he isn't a youngster.
Oh, I have always heard that Charles really wants it bad, and so does Camilla! He’s not as popular as William and Catherine who the public want instead of Charles.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

So ... Are they REALLY making it on their own and being completely financially independent? They're branding 100 products as ROYAL SUSSEX. That's not making it on their own. That's leeching off the family and Harry's royalty. I'm not counting this as them being "financially independent".
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:53 pm
29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:41 pm
DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:34 pm

I agree! I was surprised at that. I wonder how no longer being royal will do to their “Sussex Royal” brand and trademark.
Oh, I didn't consider that. Will they be able to continue to use the Royal? I know they will be able to keep the Sussex part, as they will continue to be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but the Royal part is now not so accurate.
That’s kind of fuzzy to me reading the articles. Both are from the AP but by different people.

"With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations," Buckingham Palace's statement continued. "While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty. The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home."

I did read another article that it is actually unconstitutional for royals to live or have residency in Canada. If someone receives a title from the U.K. they must relinquish their Canadian citizenship. Right now Meghan is a US citizen and Harry has UK citizenship.
Yes, for all the facts we have, there is still a lot of unknowns. I didn't realize that the UK and Canada were that frosty towards each other regarding Royalty.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:58 pm So ... Are they REALLY making it on their own and being completely financially independent? They're branding 100 products as ROYAL SUSSEX. That's not making it on their own. That's leeching off the family and Harry's royalty. I'm not counting this as them being "financially independent".
I agree! I didn’t think it was even legal to earn money using your royal status. I thought they were using “Sussex Royal” for their new foundation for charity, not to make money for themselves.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:56 pm

I suspect no at all.
He is still 6th in line to the throne and in historical context that isn’t far fetched he could be King one day. (Reference King Henry VII. He was 5th in line when circumstances allowed his ascension).

Plus they are not losing their titles - they will remain the Duke and Dutchess of Sussex.
So long as his brother and his children don't suffer from unfortunate accidents, he will not get the throne. I'm thinking I heard/read somewhere that Prince Charles won't take it, doesn't want it, or something like that. And lately, I've been wondering why the Queen hasn't stepped down to let her grandson take over. William seems quite able to take over, he isn't a youngster.
Oh, I have always heard that Charles really wants it bad, and so does Camilla! He’s not as popular as William and Catherine who the public want instead of Charles.
It wouldn't surprise me if he did want it, and I'm certain that Camilla does! And I did hear that a very long time ago, so I could be remembering it all wrong.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:06 pm
29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Oh, I didn't consider that. Will they be able to continue to use the Royal? I know they will be able to keep the Sussex part, as they will continue to be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but the Royal part is now not so accurate.
That’s kind of fuzzy to me reading the articles. Both are from the AP but by different people.

"With The Queen's blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations," Buckingham Palace's statement continued. "While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty. The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home."

I did read another article that it is actually unconstitutional for royals to live or have residency in Canada. If someone receives a title from the U.K. they must relinquish their Canadian citizenship. Right now Meghan is a US citizen and Harry has UK citizenship.
Yes, for all the facts we have, there is still a lot of unknowns. I didn't realize that the UK and Canada were that frosty towards each other regarding Royalty.
It may be different since are no longer “senior royals.” That may be why the queen stripped them of HRH.
But one of the key issues will be their immigration status and how they can become permanent residents and get permission to work in Canada. It is one thing for the royals to visit, but quite another to work and stay. And then there is the question of citizenship.

As Canada’s National Post pointed out, “As the grandson of Canada’s monarch and sixth in line to the throne, one might expect Prince Harry to have some special status in this country. But the Duke of Sussex enjoys no such privilege, nor do any of the Queen’s descendants. Even the Queen does not hold Canadian citizenship, although she could reside in Canada for as long as she wants.

That means Prince Harry will be entering Canada as any other British citizen would, and all British citizens can stay in Canada for up to six months without a visa. It’s the same for U.S. citizens. So Harry and Meghan’s short-term plan could simply be to travel back and forth between Canada and the U.K. at least twice a year — although that would put Meghan’s application for British citizenship at risk.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemot ... ff309533b7

29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I suspect no at all.

I went searching, and found an article that said this:
Fans of the royal family are beginning to wonder if Charles really wants to become the King of England after Queen Elizabeth II. In the event that Charles abdicates the throne, royal experts have always thought Prince William would be the one to replace him.

But, as some fans have pointed out, Prince Andrew would also be a valid candidate for the job. After all, at the age of 59, Andrew has more experience than William and could be a better choice for the position.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... liam.html/

So, what I am remembering is pure speculation. However, I doubt the country would accept Prince Andrew today!
Expand your thinking

Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:19 pm
29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:06 pm

It may be different since are no longer “senior royals.” That may be why the queen stripped them of HRH.
But one of the key issues will be their immigration status and how they can become permanent residents and get permission to work in Canada. It is one thing for the royals to visit, but quite another to work and stay. And then there is the question of citizenship.

As Canada’s National Post pointed out, “As the grandson of Canada’s monarch and sixth in line to the throne, one might expect Prince Harry to have some special status in this country. But the Duke of Sussex enjoys no such privilege, nor do any of the Queen’s descendants. Even the Queen does not hold Canadian citizenship, although she could reside in Canada for as long as she wants.

That means Prince Harry will be entering Canada as any other British citizen would, and all British citizens can stay in Canada for up to six months without a visa. It’s the same for U.S. citizens. So Harry and Meghan’s short-term plan could simply be to travel back and forth between Canada and the U.K. at least twice a year — although that would put Meghan’s application for British citizenship at risk.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyjsemot ... ff309533b7
Wait -- Meghan still does not have British citizenship?!
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They will be okay.. He doesn’t need a title.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:36 pm

I went searching, and found an article that said this:
Fans of the royal family are beginning to wonder if Charles really wants to become the King of England after Queen Elizabeth II. In the event that Charles abdicates the throne, royal experts have always thought Prince William would be the one to replace him.

But, as some fans have pointed out, Prince Andrew would also be a valid candidate for the job. After all, at the age of 59, Andrew has more experience than William and could be a better choice for the position.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... liam.html/

So, what I am remembering is pure speculation. However, I doubt the country would accept Prince Andrew today!
I don’t see how they would skip that many people for Andrew. There’s no way! Especially now with the Epstein stuff.

Locked Previous topicNext topic