Worlds first HIV positive sperm bank

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What in the hell??? Why is reducing "stigma" more important than the real moral issue here?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-first ... 11757.html
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

“ Online sperm bank 'Sperm Positive' has begun with three HIV positive male donors, who all have an undetectable viral load, meaning the virus cannot be passed on even through unprotected S*x...

Men cannot directly transmit HIV to the baby in the womb.”

What is the moral issue?
jas wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:20 am What in the hell??? Why is reducing "stigma" more important than the real moral issue here?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-first ... 11757.html
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Moral issue? HIV positive people have already gone on to have children without the virus.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AllofFive19 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am Moral issue? HIV positive people have already gone on to have children without the virus.
And there are those who have not.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

I *get* the point about trying to "reduce the stigma."

And honestly, this is a situation where choice is THE factor overall as far as seeking help from this particular sperm bank.

I understand the questioning of morality but I would only agree if this was a sperm bank that was not completely honest about its donors.

It appears that isn't the case here.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 am
AllofFive19 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am Moral issue? HIV positive people have already gone on to have children without the virus.
But in this case the virus is not detectable by standard methods and would not be likely to pass it on. Personally I would not, but I'm not really sure that it's a moral issue.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

HIV cannot be transmitted by a person whose viral levels are undetectable, as is the case with these donors. And HIV has never been directly transmissible from a father to an in-utero fetus.

So, again... what is the moral issue?
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Don't these people take all sorts of medications and have weakened immune systems? Sorry, if I am PAYING for sperm it better be from a HEALTHY 6ft, fit Nordic athlete, organic diet, high IQ individual.

But if people want to pay for "stigmatized" sperm just to virtue signal that's on them.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am HIV cannot be transmitted by a person whose viral levels are undetectable, as is the case with these donors. And HIV has never been directly transmissible from a father to an in-utero fetus.

So, again... what is the moral issue?
Never say never when scientists don't know everything about the disease. Never say never when diseases are known to adapt to the environment. And if you can't see where the moral issue is (pushing the stigma agenda over the health and safety of mother and child) then don't know what I can tell you.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:00 am Don't these people take all sorts of medications and have weakened immune systems? Sorry, if I am PAYING for sperm it better be from a HEALTHY 6ft, fit Nordic athlete, organic diet, high IQ individual.

But if people want to pay for "stigmatized" sperm just to virtue signal that's on them.
yep
Locked Previous topicNext topic