US Navy Grounds Saudi Military Students

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Navy Suspends Flight Training for Saudi Military Students in Florida

About 300 students from Saudi Arabia have been grounded at three Florida bases in the wake of a shooting at a Pensacola Navy base that left three people dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/10/us/p ... dents.html
KAG
Mean Girl
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's a good start. What's next? Termination of the program that brings our enemies over here to learn our fighting techniques?
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:13 pm That's a good start. What's next? Termination of the program that brings our enemies over here to learn our fighting techniques?
Trump’s response when the Saudi government had a journalist lured into an embassy, chopped up with a bone saw then discarded was literally to brush it off by saying “the world is a very dangerous place!”, and highlighting how much money the Saudis spend while making it clear he doesn’t care whether the Saudi government did or didn’t orchestrate it. Since the shooting, him and Pompeo have emphasized how upset the King of Saudi Arabia is about it, as if that’s at all important here. So no, I’d say neither of those is next.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:29 pm
29again wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:13 pm That's a good start. What's next? Termination of the program that brings our enemies over here to learn our fighting techniques?
Trump’s response when the Saudi government had a journalist lured into an embassy, chopped up with a bone saw then discarded was literally to brush it off by saying “the world is a very dangerous place!”, and highlighting how much money the Saudis spend while making it clear he doesn’t care whether the Saudi government did or didn’t orchestrate it. Since the shooting, him and Pompeo have emphasized how upset the King of Saudi Arabia is about it, as if that’s at all important here. So no, I’d say neither of those is next.
What do people want, for POTUS to declare war or something? That won't solve anything, and I don't want POTUS making threats like that. I DO understand the nice talk back and forth, and I'm OK with it, to a degree. I don't see anything to be gained by public threats, but I sure do hope that something is being DONE behind the scenes.

I don't feel we should tell any other country how to act, what to do, etc, but I also don't feel we need to be teaching every military force how to fight. (Mostly because where is our advantage should something break out if the other side knows our tactics and techniques?)
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

29again wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:05 pm
What do people want, for POTUS to declare war or something? That won't solve anything, and I don't want POTUS making threats like that. I DO understand the nice talk back and forth, and I'm OK with it, to a degree. I don't see anything to be gained by public threats, but I sure do hope that something is being DONE behind the scenes.

I don't feel we should tell any other country how to act, what to do, etc, but I also don't feel we need to be teaching every military force how to fight. (Mostly because where is our advantage should something break out if the other side knows our tactics and techniques?)
I’m sure you can recognize there are plenty of steps between acting like Saudi spokespeople after basically saying the actions of their government don’t make a difference because they spend so much money/produce so much oil and declaring war. There’s simply no indication anything is being done behind the scenes and that the Administration aren’t comfortable being cozy with the Saudis despite bipartisan opposition to that.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I’m sure you can recognize there are plenty of steps between acting like Saudi spokespeople after basically saying the actions of their government don’t make a difference because they spend so much money/produce so much oil and declaring war. There’s simply no indication anything is being done behind the scenes and that the Administration aren’t comfortable being cozy with the Saudis despite bipartisan opposition to that.
I think there is a shitload of things done behind the scenes that we don’t know about and will probably never know about. I am okay with that. I don’t think every little thing needs to be public.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I think there is a shitload of things done behind the scenes that we don’t know about and will probably never know about. I am okay with that. I don’t think every little thing needs to be public.
I don’t think every little thing needs to be public either, but I’m also not assuming there’s some sort of meaningful consequences happening for Saudi Arabia behind the scenes that the very public blind eye and compliments are a smokescreen for.
Locked Previous topicNext topic