MORE WINNING: Want food stamps? Work for them.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZLizardLady wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:27 am
Lemons wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 pm

I can see your point about quite a few Trump supporters but honestly, I've seen the same from quite a few Democrats, as well.

Politics are a tricky thing and with a media that primarily swings far right or far left, it's hard to know if what you're reading and hearing is fact-based or merely an op ed.

I am not sure that I would call the "winning" comment trashy as much as hurtful and because there are people in this country who are truly hard-working individuals who have been all of their adult lives (sometimes even younger) who are now facing money struggles for a large variety of reasons that have not been within their own control.

When laws go into place such as the new ones on food stamps, it hurts far more than it helps. That to me is NOT a "winning" situation.
If you read news sources like the New York Times or the Wall Street Journal they make it very clear whether you are reading an Op Ed or fact based news. I don't bother reading Op Eds because there are so many news articles that I'd rather read and it would be too time consuming. Plus they don't really add anything to what a person needs to know, they are more in the entertainment division, I think.
WSJ and NYT have both made boo-boos lately, though, as well.

It's just hard, IMO, to find reliable sources of news outside of AP, Reuters, and PBS.

Local news seems to even be more reliable.
Making mistakes and owning up to them is not a reason to discount reputable news sources. They are completely reliable and so are AP, Reuters and PBS. And they all make mistakes.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Over the years I have had numerous people come in and ask me to sign a paper stating they asked for a job. A few times I offered a job. They weren't interested.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:17 am Over the years I have had numerous people come in and ask me to sign a paper stating they asked for a job. A few times I offered a job. They weren't interested.
Did you complete the section about whether you're hiring or not? Is that on MIs Workforce/Worksource form?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:13 am
Carpy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:17 am Over the years I have had numerous people come in and ask me to sign a paper stating they asked for a job. A few times I offered a job. They weren't interested.
Did you complete the section about whether you're hiring or not? Is that on MIs Workforce/Workforce form?
Unless it's new, there is no section.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

However, the rules allow state agencies to waive the time limit and extend SNAP eligibility for able-bodied adults if the unemployment rate in a given area is relatively high or where there is a lack of sufficient jobs.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:03 pm So suppose you live in an area that just isn't hiring and you lost your job. You have put in applications in every business in town and no one is hiring. You're pounding the pavement and spending your days in the library applying for jobs online. Does this seem right that you don't even qualify for foodstamps?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am
Did you complete the section about whether you're hiring or not? Is that on MIs Workforce/Workforce form?
FL has had it since at least 1988. I had people try to play me about who fills it out - they try to fill it out themselves, lol.

Eta - had to go back and correct Worksource, hahaha.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 am
Carpy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 am

FL has had it since at least 1988. I had people try to play me about who fills it out - they try to fill it out themselves, lol.

Eta - had to go back and correct Worksource, hahaha.
That’s how it works in MS to my knowledge. The hiring manager has to sign off on a form to confirm 20 hours or more.
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

they are allowed to think whatever they want but anyone who thinks making children go hungry is a win is objectively a piece of shit 🙃
AZLizardLady wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:26 pm On a side-note, I see the words "his ignorant base" quite often here especially and I am curious WHAT exactly stands out for those who write this rather.....well...ignorant, generalized comment.....about Trump voters that appears this way?

A simple 'because they voted for him' really isn't QUITE the answer I am seeking and because voting is a matter of choice. Citing others for voting for who *you* (anyone in general) don't care for or like as "ignorant" is again, ignorant on its own.
I'll tell you why I think this. First, a Trump poster labeled this "more winning" which is a phrase Trump's base use when they think Trump has accomplished something positive. There are already work requirements on food stamps along with many other requirements and exceptions to those requirements. This is a big show for the Trump campaign. Every move Trump makes it to ensure votes for him, not ensure what's best for the country. And I very much doubt that this will save as money as they claim it will. And note who thinks this is just so great - Trump's base.

Like you said, if children end up going hungry or even adults in a bad situation go hungry, there is no "winning".
Are they not allowed to believe that a move he and his administration is a winning move even if you or others aren't inclined to believe it is? To not have them slapped with the "ignorant" label simply because they happen to believe in and agree with him? Is it OK for them to view (and they do) those like yourself who are so opposed to so much if not everything that Trump does...as ignorant?

There are plenty of moves that the Democrat congressional lawmakers have been making that many Democrat votes feel are "winning" moves. Yet many others, including Republicans, happen to not agree.

I don't agree with quite a few aspects of these new cuts and requirements to food stamps. I think it's painted with VERY broad, almost biased strokes, and doesn't depict a reality that so many in this country are facing.

But Trump is going to do whatever he can to keep his base and just like other politicians before him, Republican or Democrat. That's how they keep their voters...playing to their base.

We've now become a country divided in many ways and one of the biggest ways we are is their side vs our side. I suppose that's how it goes but in the past few years, it just seems to have gotten worse and no, I don't blame Trump at all for that.

We voters, no matter which direction we vote, are responsible for much of what goes on in this country.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

This is going to adversely affect my county and no, I don't think that some of my neighbors going hungry is "winning".
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Many people already DO work who get food stamps.
Locked Previous topicNext topic