Unvaccinated children not allowed by NY state to attend public schools starting today

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Starting today, unvaccinated children whose families claim religious exemption will not be allowed to attend public schools in New York state.

A new state law eliminates religious exemptions from immunizations such as the measles, mumps and rubella vaccines, which means unvaccinated children may not be able to attend school.

School administrators around the state say they respect a parent’s right to not vaccinate, but school districts must adhere to the law.

MORE: Parents opt to home-school instead of vaccinate

Under the law, which was passed in June, the parents of unvaccinated students were given a 14-day grace period from the start of school to show they had taken initial steps to comply with vaccination requirements and that their children had received at a minimum the first age-appropriate dose in each required immunization series.

New York became the fifth state in the U.S. to eliminate exemptions for anything other than a medical necessity. New York legislators passed the law in response to the worst measles outbreak in the country in more than 25 years.

Rockland County health officials offered free vaccine clinics as a result of the outbreak.

The law is facing a challenge in the New York Supreme Court. Last month, a judge in Albany ruled that the law could take effect while the case continues in court.
http://westchester.news12.com/story/410 ... ting-today
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I agree with this.
WhoAreYou
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Good.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I absolutely agree that not vaccinating is a public health risk and therefore the people who opt to do that shouldn’t enjoy the benefits society offers, not to mention others shouldn’t be put at a risk over a personal decision.

However... what will those kids do? Be homeschooled? And by parents who are obviously ignorant if they’re against vaccines? It’s a scary thought that protecting the general population has to come at the expense of probably increasing ignorance and lack of education and of parents teaching their children that misinformation about vaccines, further escalating the problem.

But overall, I’m more inclined to agree with this. Only those with legitimate medical reasons should be exempt. Religious reasons I also see as opening a can of worms, but I understand anyone can claim “religious reasons” and get away with it. I just hope this doesn’t start a slippery slope of other religious practices being attacked and outlawed because some people disagree with them. I think we should draw the line at public health and protecting the general population. If that can be done, then I’m all for it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree with it. Medical I understand because there are children who shouldn't have some vaccines. However, I hope NY is paying attention and implements a system like California has recently done. Allowing schools to have up to 50% of students in some schools medically exempted is a recipe for disaster.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Isn't this kinda at odds at the whole 'school-aged children shall attend school?' law that all states have? Is NY going to provide tutors and access to online K-12 program? And isn't this violating their constitutional rights? I can get onboard with non vaxed kids being sent home when there is an outbreak but not denying them an education or the right to go to school just because they're not vaxxed.
WhoAreYou
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

SCOTUS has ruled that public health issues overrule education rights.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am Isn't this kinda at odds at the whole 'school-aged children shall attend school?' law that all states have? Is NY going to provide tutors and access to online K-12 program? And isn't this violating their constitutional rights? I can get onboard with non vaxed kids being sent home when there is an outbreak but not denying them an education or the right to go to school just because they're not vaxxed.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WhoAreYou wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 am SCOTUS has ruled that public health issues overrule education rights.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am Isn't this kinda at odds at the whole 'school-aged children shall attend school?' law that all states have? Is NY going to provide tutors and access to online K-12 program? And isn't this violating their constitutional rights? I can get onboard with non vaxed kids being sent home when there is an outbreak but not denying them an education or the right to go to school just because they're not vaxxed.
Which is why in the past those who weren't vaccinated during a public health crisis were told to stay at home. This decision violates the constitution by forcing them to stay out of school when there is no health crisis.
WhoAreYou
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Pssst- I think they know what does, and doesn’t, violate The Constitution a little bit better than you do.

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:52 am
WhoAreYou wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:48 am SCOTUS has ruled that public health issues overrule education rights.
Which is why in the past those who weren't vaccinated during a public health crisis were told to stay at home. This decision violates the constitution by forcing them to stay out of school when there is no health crisis.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Public health overruled constitutional rights...

And it’s lawmakers who define what constitutes a public health risk, as they are instructed by medical professionals who are in vaccine manufacturers pockets.

Those same people have been proven to be corrupt time and time again...

Locked Previous topicNext topic