*LOCKED TOPIC* Gun shock: Majority support ‘mandatory buybacks’ of AR-15s

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm I’m with the majority here. There’s absolutely no need for any private citizen to own that kind of firearm. That’s not for protection, the name says it all: it’s an assault weapon.
Where is it in the name? I can't find it anyway.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 pm

And it’s also interesting how the OP talks about AR-15s and AKs but posters immediately flip the conversation to Assault Weapons.
That happens because as demonstrated in this group most people don't know the difference between the two types of weapons.

How many criminals will voluntarily turn in theirs?
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:50 pm There is no reason for anybody to even own an assault rifle. I support a buy back for those weapons. I also support a ban.
I agree.👏
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm I’m with the majority here. There’s absolutely no need for any private citizen to own that kind of firearm. That’s not for protection, the name says it all: it’s an assault weapon.
Yep!!!
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 pm

And it’s also interesting how the OP talks about AR-15s and AKs but posters immediately flip the conversation to Assault Weapons.
That happens because as demonstrated in this group most people don't know the difference between the two types of weapons.

How many criminals will voluntarily turn in theirs?
This is a big issue in Canada. The problems with buybacks and any legislation is that only the non-criminals will participate. They Canadian government is estimating that most assault rifles are not registered.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:32 pm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
Definition of AK-47
Does that mean that AR 15s are okay then? Only ak47s are assault rifles according to your website.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 am
Ledina60 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:32 pm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
Definition of AK-47
Does that mean that AR 15s are okay then? Only ak47s are assault rifles according to your website.
I doubt it.
I guess I’m going to have to do more research though.

Here’s one :
https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2017/ ... ds/545438/
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:08 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm He'll never get that to pass. If he wants to try, the best he could do is use gel dummies to show what these guns are capable of doing. However, he would also need to use other guns that are not semi-automatic to show their capabilities. That is, if he really wants to make a point.
Honestly, if he wants it to pass all he has to do is change mandatory to voluntary. It won't get all of them (which mandatory wouldn't either), but it will get quite a bit and it would be a start. Pass a law that those who own them are grandfathered in and are allowed to own them, however, they would not be allowed to sell or give or pass them down without the new owner being vetted.
I doubt changing it to voluntary would do much. Just look at that woman who responded to him. Most of these owners will NOT give up without a fight.

Pass a law like the one in '94 that grandfathered them in? I would agree with a tracking mechanism for these guns. I'd also be in agreement with a yearly permit fee for owning them. Not a popular opinion, but it's mine.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Locked Previous topicNext topic