Yazidi woman who won Nobel Prize pleads with Trump to help her people

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:59 pm you people are so damn petty.

he DID look her in the eye repeatedly, yes he broke eye contact which momentarily, then made contact once again. He Looked like he was focusing on trying to understand her and listen through her very strong accent.

He asked her questions because he obviously was unfamiliar with who she was. He said "thats incredible" when she told him she won the nobel peace prize, thats a compliment, he asked what for because he was trying to familiarize himself with her story.

he told her he would look into it. wtf is he supposed to do on the spot with multiple people in the room also waiting to speak with him?

and the left are the ones who didnt want to give priority refugee status to religious minorities! christians and Yazidiz made up very few refugees who entered europe. the vast majority were muslims who were not being persecuted. when conservatives suggested givng priority to minorites the left screamed islamophobia.

she should have had a prearranged private meeting with him, it was awkward because I dont think he knew that was coming and was unprepared. She wasnt even sitting down with him.

perosnally, I dont think non muslim religious minorities are safe in most of the middle east. she should stay in europe, you'd think she'd want to after what she has gone through. however, if she wants to talk about how Yazidis can go back in safety, an on the spot meeting with Trump isnt going to give an immediate solution.
I know that Trump hates briefings and doesn't like to read but this was a pre-arranged meeting, not a chance meeting on the street. He should have known who she was. He should have been able to offer sympathy - he didn't need to offer a solution. He should have known she won the nobel prize and for what reason. She tells him her entire family was killed and he asks her "where are they now". Seriously?

Today it was reported that Trump officials are advocating for a zero refugee policy for 2020 so spare me the "left didn't want to give priority". And really, she should have prearranged a private meeting rather than meet with other representatives of religiously persecuted groups? Frankly, as a woman, I wouldn't want to meet in private with Trump.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What a strong woman. I'd be broken if I went through 1/10 of what she did. That was so embarassing to watch. The only interest he had was in her Nobel.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I seriously wonder sometimes if some of you are looking at the same thing I am.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

he DID look her in the eye repeatedly, yes he broke eye contact which momentarily, then made contact once again. He Looked like he was focusing on trying to understand her and listen through her very strong accent.

He asked her questions because he obviously was unfamiliar with who she was. He said "thats incredible" when she told him she won the nobel peace prize, thats a compliment, he asked what for because he was trying to familiarize himself with her story.

he told her he would look into it. wtf is he supposed to do on the spot with multiple people in the room also waiting to speak with him?

and the left are the ones who didnt want to give priority refugee status to religious minorities! christians and Yazidiz made up very few refugees who entered europe. the vast majority were muslims who were not being persecuted. when conservatives suggested givng priority to minorites the left screamed islamophobia.

she should have had a prearranged private meeting with him, it was awkward because I dont think he knew that was coming and was unprepared. She wasnt even sitting down with him.

perosnally, I dont think non muslim religious minorities are safe in most of the middle east. she should stay in europe, you'd think she'd want to after what she has gone through. however, if she wants to talk about how Yazidis can go back in safety, an on the spot meeting with Trump isnt going to give an immediate solution.
She was invited there. Either he didn’t pay enough attention to his briefing, or one of The Best People dropped the ball on appropriately informing him about who she was.

What was he supposed to do? How about...not ask where the family she just described being murdered are? Respond with some basic empathy (“I’m so sorry for all you’ve endured”) after she described 7 family members being killed and dumped in a mass grave? Like, even if that isn’t the time or place for him to have an in depth policy discussion with her, the video is strange on a human level - beyond telling her it’s incredible she won the Nobel prize, he doesn’t have any other emotional reaction at all while she’s speaking.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 pm

She was invited there. Either he didn’t pay enough attention to his briefing, or one of The Best People dropped the ball on appropriately informing him about who she was.

What was he supposed to do? How about...not ask where the family she just described being murdered are? Respond with some basic empathy (“I’m so sorry for all you’ve endured”) after she described 7 family members being killed and dumped in a mass grave? Like, even if that isn’t the time or place for him to have an in depth policy discussion with her, the video is strange on a human level - beyond telling her it’s incredible she won the Nobel prize, he doesn’t have any other emotional reaction at all while she’s speaking.
I know who she is, I have read about her story. But if I werent already familiar I would struggle to understand her through her thick accent. I think he just didnt understand her when she said her family was killed the 1st time. He looked like someone trying to understand someone but struggling. I know this look because my mom is 85% deaf and she has the same exact look on her face when people talk to her w/o her hearing aids. she also tends to break eye contact and look down because shes focusing on the words. she even closes her eyes sometimes to limit distractions.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm I seriously wonder sometimes if some of you are looking at the same thing I am.
they are dissecting his every move to try to find something to criticize.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Unfortunately, her plea fell on deaf ears. He doesn't care, you can tell.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yet he managed to squeeze in the "fact" that he knew the area she was talking about well. He didn't know anything and doesn't care. I actually truly empathize with him if he's socially awkward and uncomfortable around people, because same, but jesus, he's beyond the pale.
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It’s great that she got to share her story with the president of the United States and was able to speak with him one on one. She has been through some horrors. Trump did well with listening and asking questions. I would like to see the two of them sit down for a longer meeting and be in a more comfortable position so he isn’t having to turn to look at her. It’s easier to make eye contact when someone isn’t standing directly by your side.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

water<wine wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:53 pm
Francee89 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:51 pm

I know who she is, I have read about her story. But if I werent already familiar I would struggle to understand her through her thick accent. I think he just didnt understand her when she said her family was killed the 1st time. He looked like someone trying to understand someone but struggling. I know this look because my mom is 85% deaf and she has the same exact look on her face when people talk to her w/o her hearing aids. she also tends to break eye contact and look down because shes focusing on the words. she even closes her eyes sometimes to limit distractions.
He clearly understood her well enough to interject that he knew the area well - there’s just seemingly a bizarre lack of empathy in this interaction. I don’t think anyone expected him to burst into tears or pull her into a hug, but not a single expression of condolence or sympathy when she describes the mass murder of her family?
Locked Previous topicNext topic