Republican State Lawmaker: ‘Owning Slaves Doesn’t Make You Racist’

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Mommabearof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm
Mommabearof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:55 pm Slavery is still being done all over our world. Many are enslaved in their own country by their own race. It is more about economics than racism. When someone in West Africa is enslaved by another of their own race in West Africa, are they still considered racist?
In this particular country it was racism. Other countries it's tribalism or religion or whatever they can make up. In our country blacks were considered property, not people. There were no white slaves. Our country has an ugly racist history. We can't pretend it didn't happen.
I'm not saying it didn't happen. I am saying that our country had a short timeframe in which it did happen compare to the history of slavery around the world. And the fact is that it is still happening. Now in our country there are slaves of every race. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic and so on who are sold and/or traded through S*x trafficking, child labor, force/child marriage etc all which are done for economical reasons.
The stuff that Black people went through after slaves were freed in the US was inhumane. That wouldn't have been the case if slavery was strictly about business and not race. Normally with different countries/cultures the dynamics are different, so I don't think it can be painted with a wide brush anyway. Africans enslaving their own people or selling them to the US slave trade is a different dynamic/debate. I wouldn't call it racist but its a different kind of fucked up.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mommabearof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:55 pm Slavery is still being done all over our world. Many are enslaved in their own country by their own race. It is more about economics than racism. When someone in West Africa is enslaved by another of their own race in West Africa, are they still considered racist?
Slavery as a concept doesn’t have to be based on racism... Slavery in THIS country was disgustingly racist.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 pm
Mommabearof2 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 pm
Lemons wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm

In this particular country it was racism. Other countries it's tribalism or religion or whatever they can make up. In our country blacks were considered property, not people. There were no white slaves. Our country has an ugly racist history. We can't pretend it didn't happen.
I'm not saying it didn't happen. I am saying that our country had a short timeframe in which it did happen compare to the history of slavery around the world. And the fact is that it is still happening. Now in our country there are slaves of every race. Black, White, Asian, Hispanic and so on who are sold and/or traded through S*x trafficking, child labor, force/child marriage etc all which are done for economical reasons.
The stuff that Black people went through after slaves were freed in the US was inhumane. That wouldn't have been the case if slavery was strictly about business and not race. Normally with different countries/cultures the dynamics are different, so I don't think it can be painted with a wide brush anyway. Africans enslaving their own people or selling them to the US slave trade is a different dynamic/debate. I wouldn't call it racist but its a different kind of fucked up.
Precisely this.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is exactly what I was thinking and wondering if that’s what he meant.
It’s no denying that in America it turned into racism.
I’m sure it started out about economics but then racism.
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The first legal slave was originally an indentured servant who’s contract holder refused to let go. They went to court and the court sided with the contract holder based on the fact that black people had no rights. He was then considered property and the man could enslave him for life.

That’s what I remember off the top of my head but heres some information about it

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180962352/

The “first slave” was created out of sheer racism.
BionicBunny wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm This is exactly what I was thinking and wondering if that’s what he meant.
🤓The Admin 🤓
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

12skipafew wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 pm The first legal slave was originally an indentured servant who’s contract holder refused to let go. They went to court and the court sided with the contract holder based on the fact that black people had no rights. He was then considered property and the man could enslave him for life.

That’s what I remember off the top of my head but heres some information about it

BionicBunny wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm This is exactly what I was thinking and wondering if that’s what he meant.
Did I read that right? His owner, and the one who fought to keep him, was black also?
12skipafew
Khaleesi
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yea, I was leaving that part out because it usually causes some contention on political boards lol His owner was once an indentured servant who didn’t want him to leave. It ended up biting him in the ass though because once he died his property and assets couldn’t be passed down to his family since he was black and didn’t have rights.
jas wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 pm
12skipafew wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:48 pm The first legal slave was originally an indentured servant who’s contract holder refused to let go. They went to court and the court sided with the contract holder based on the fact that black people had no rights. He was then considered property and the man could enslave him for life.

Did I read that right? His owner, and the one who fought to keep him, was black also?
🤓The Admin 🤓
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Thank you for sharing that link. Very interesting
12skipafew wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:57 pm Yea, I was leaving that part out because it usually causes some contention on political boards lol His owner was once an indentured servant who didn’t want him to leave. It ended up biting him in the ass though because once he died his property and assets couldn’t be passed down to his family since he was black and didn’t have rights.
jas wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Unless you’re going to try to tell me those plantation owners were so in the dark ages that they delighted in being also sexist and ageist — practicing age discrimination and S*x discrimination when they bought slaves — I don’t see how you can say they’re being racist because they bought black slaves,” he continued.

“My comment specifically was aimed at a period of time when that was how you survived, that’s how you fed your family,” the lawmaker went on. “It wasn’t ‘I want to own a black person today.’ It was, ‘I need to feed my family; I need five guys who can work stupidly long hours in the sun without killing themselves.' ”

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... ter-saying
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

306/232

Locked Previous topicNext topic