House votes to raise minimum wage...

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

And kill the small businesses and up unemployment...yay. Not that I think it will pass the Senate, but still.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lawmaker ... 12348.html
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s the best way to create inflation. And with Trump’s tariffs and wanting companies to close factories and plants overseas, that’s disastrous.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We need it raised, but... this seems like a bad plan.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:01 pm We need it raised, but... this seems like a bad plan.
I think it should be up to the States. Some have a high cost of living where it would be needed, others it will decimate the job market. You think Walmart has more registers than cashiers now??
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's The standard excuse every time a livable wage is discussed. Families living on minimum wage jobs typically get food stamps, free health care and possibly free daycare. So if corporations don’t pay livable wages they government picks up the slack.

And the whole “small business” argument is bullshit. If they cant pay a livable wage they aren’t successful enough to hire employees.

Stores like Sears and Toys r us paid minimum wage and they still went bankrupt. Let’s stop blaming livable wages.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Small business will adapt. Senate will never pass it, not with the Republicans in control.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Our town actually did a forum on raising the minimum wage and how it would affect businesses and employment. The findings were that it wouldn't. Some employers would reduce the number of their part-time staff and increase the number of full-time. Some would reduce by marginal amounts the total number of staff. But overall, the affect would be a large number of employed people would finally be off of social service programs.

The people in my community who will be reap the most benefit are those in the hospitality and health care professions. These two areas generate high profits in my area so there is pretty great economic reward for those workers receiving a living wage.

I will add that I currently have one of the highest hourly wages in our economically depressed county - $15.00/hour. I have no problem if those with much less experience than I make the same. Work is work.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:14 pm Small business will adapt. Senate will never pass it, not with the Republicans in control.
Senate won't pass it but there is such broad support for raising the minimum wage that I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot come 2020. But I also think that's the point of the Democrat held House for voting these measures in now.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm That's The standard excuse every time a livable wage is discussed. Families living on minimum wage jobs typically get food stamps, free health care and possibly free daycare. So if corporations don’t pay livable wages they government picks up the slack.

And the whole “small business” argument is bullshit. If they cant pay a livable wage they aren’t successful enough to hire employees.

Stores like Sears and Toys r us paid minimum wage and they still went bankrupt. Let’s stop blaming livable wages.
And stores have raised wages, but to offset the higher payroll cost they cut hours. Now people are bringing home smaller paychecks, but they are making $3 more an hour!
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:00 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm That's The standard excuse every time a livable wage is discussed. Families living on minimum wage jobs typically get food stamps, free health care and possibly free daycare. So if corporations don’t pay livable wages they government picks up the slack.

And stores have raised wages, but to offset the higher payroll cost they cut hours. Now people are bringing home smaller paychecks, but they are making $3 more an hour!
I thought the economy was booming and that massive tax cut was going to trickle down to increased wages? Why would stores be doing that in this economy, the greatest economy in the history of the world?

If the economy is that fantastic and currently there are no major issues with the economy, then there’s no reason not to pay livable wages. Hopefully they can work something out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic