School lunch lady fired for feeding student unable to pay for $8 lunch

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

For five years, Bonnie Kimball's job serving students at Mascoma Valley Regional High School in Canaan, New Hampshire, lunch was her life.

"We didn't even call it work," Kimball told Valley News. "We got up in the morning, we took care of our families and we went to take care of the kids."

Kimball's extended second family at the school included 326 students, and she shares that, in between ringing them up at the cash register and making them ice cream sundaes, she listened to them.

But according to the New Hampshire Union Leader, Kimball was fired by the school's food vendor, Cafe Services, after she allowed a boy to have his $8 lunch when it was discovered he had no money in his account on March 28.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/school- ... 49476.html
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Eight dollars? That's all I got out of this. I don't pay that much for myself for lunch never mind for the kids. What is this kid buying? I mean I think she should have been reprimanded unless there were other problems and this was a final straw. If kids were buying expensive a la cart dishes and she is putting the school into the red repeatedly not asking for payment that can't continue. Also Mom might have requested the child not be able to buy extras- I've done that- and the cashier didn't listen. Eight bucks a lunch is a high amount.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I couldn't be a lunch lady. I'd feed all the kids. I'd be like that lunch lady on Billy Madison. HAVE SOME MORE SLOPPY JOES! I MADE EM EXTRA SLOPPY FOR YAS! Lol.
819903mom
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

What kind of school luch cost $8. Holy hell. My kids would pack a lunch
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The school policy is to feed the kids regardless of whether they pay or not. However, the lunch of the day is what the child gets if there are no funds in hsi/her account. A district manager was there from the contracted food services and this lady was told to keep everything running smoothly by her boss. She told the child quietly to let his mom know there were no funds. The next day, the child came and paid the bill. BUT the lunch lady was fired at the end of the day.

Regardless of how much the bill was, firing someone over feeding a child ONE DAY is atrocious. The article does not say if this was an ongoing thing or whether children were not coming back to pay their bill.

I agree with you that maybe setting limits may be a good way to keep costs down for parents.

Pjmm wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 am Eight dollars? That's all I got out of this. I don't pay that much for myself for lunch never mind for the kids. What is this kid buying? I mean I think she should have been reprimanded unless there were other problems and this was a final straw. If kids were buying expensive a la cart dishes and she is putting the school into the red repeatedly not asking for payment that can't continue. Also Mom might have requested the child not be able to buy extras- I've done that- and the cashier didn't listen. Eight bucks a lunch is a high amount.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:19 am The school policy is to feed the kids regardless of whether they pay or not. However, the lunch of the day is what the child gets if there are no funds in hsi/her account. A district manager was there from the contracted food services and this lady was told to keep everything running smoothly by her boss. She told the child quietly to let his mom know there were no funds. The next day, the child came and paid the bill. BUT the lunch lady was fired at the end of the day.

Regardless of how much the bill was, firing someone over feeding a child ONE DAY is atrocious. The article does not say if this was an ongoing thing or whether children were not coming back to pay their bill.

I agree with you that maybe setting limits may be a good way to keep costs down for parents.

Pjmm wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:44 am Eight dollars? That's all I got out of this. I don't pay that much for myself for lunch never mind for the kids. What is this kid buying? I mean I think she should have been reprimanded unless there were other problems and this was a final straw. If kids were buying expensive a la cart dishes and she is putting the school into the red repeatedly not asking for payment that can't continue. Also Mom might have requested the child not be able to buy extras- I've done that- and the cashier didn't listen. Eight bucks a lunch is a high amount.
I agree it was ridiculous to fire the lunch lady over one incident.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Me too.
And I think she shouldn’t have been fired if it was a first incident, maybe just get a warning. Because I can also understand that providing one lunch may not be a big deal, what if she starts handing out 10? Or 20? It adds up.
But if this was the first time she did this, during her was over the top. Give her one chance.
carterscutie85 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:03 am I couldn't be a lunch lady. I'd feed all the kids. I'd be like that lunch lady on Billy Madison. HAVE SOME MORE SLOPPY JOES! I MADE EM EXTRA SLOPPY FOR YAS! Lol.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 276

Unread post

It's nice to see that Jose Andres has offered her a job but I don't think she should have been fired in the first place and I imagine she loved her previous job.
Locked Previous topicNext topic