Will political correctness kill classic movies?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

Kalea wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 pm Old is gold......when movies or tv shows were actually funny. This new stuff is just stupid.
What is the funniest movie youve seen?
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, because “classic” doesn’t mean “fuzzy feeling for everyone, forever” or “righteous indignation”. Classic simply means a work of art, be it painting, music, literature or cinema, that defined a generation and had a remarkable artistic quality. If we’re now too butthurt to understand that we have a history, with people having different views and customs back then to appreciate the artistic and importance of that piece, that’s modern society being morons, that’s not the work not being a classic.
I’m sorry, but getting all offended by “Gone Woth the Wind” because of the way it portrays the racial differences in the south at that time is as idiotic as getting offended because “Schindler’s List” shows the torture and murder of Jews during the Holocaust. There are realities in our society and our history. Covering them up with PC nonsense only makes society not learn from that. Blacks were slaves in the south during the 1800-1900s. It’s the reality. If a movie like Gone With the Wind doesn’t portray that as the main topic and just shows it naturally, that’s because it was. Deal with it.
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm That doesn’t make any sense...
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm If they don't stand up to the test of time and the changing of society then they aren't classic movies to begin with.
Sure it does. If the movie has anything in it that is now looked at from a different lens (ie Me Too movement) and deemed to be sexist, then it wasn't truly classic.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 pm No, because “classic” doesn’t mean “fuzzy feeling for everyone, forever” or “righteous indignation”. Classic simply means a work of art, be it painting, music, literature or cinema, that defined a generation and had a remarkable artistic quality. If we’re now too butthurt to understand that we have a history, with people having different views and customs back then to appreciate the artistic and importance of that piece, that’s modern society being morons, that’s not the work not being a classic.
I’m sorry, but getting all offended by “Gone Woth the Wind” because of the way it portrays the racial differences in the south at that time is as idiotic as getting offended because “Schindler’s List” shows the torture and murder of Jews during the Holocaust. There are realities in our society and our history. Covering them up with PC nonsense only makes society not learn from that. Blacks were slaves in the south during the 1800-1900s. It’s the reality. If a movie like Gone With the Wind doesn’t portray that as the main topic and just shows it naturally, that’s because it was. Deal with it.

Sure it does. If the movie has anything in it that is now looked at from a different lens (ie Me Too movement) and deemed to be sexist, then it wasn't truly classic.
Very well said and I agree.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think you can still easily enjoy a classic movie while actively acknowledging it was a different time with different norms. For example, I don’t think Molly Ringwald turned on John Hughes so much as reflected on the fact that the norms around sexual assault in the 80s were, in hindsight, problematic. They’re still classic/quintessential films of their eras, even if the messages or tropes they promote aren’t great.
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

yes, stand up comedians even say they wont play for college kids because the'yre perpetually outraged lol.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

At its inception, political correctness was a necessary means for change and SUPPOSE to promote awareness outside of oneself and their social bubble. However, it’s grown into a dangerous extreme that promotes more labels and divisions. To judge works by today’s social norms and standards not only shows a lack of imagination but a lack of reality for anything besides self. I’m not a dwell on the past type of chick, but I appreciate the value of history, what can be learned from it, where we were to understand where we are and where we could go. Movies, music, art of any form is reflective of the times they were created.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 pm No, because “classic” doesn’t mean “fuzzy feeling for everyone, forever” or “righteous indignation”. Classic simply means a work of art, be it painting, music, literature or cinema, that defined a generation and had a remarkable artistic quality. If we’re now too butthurt to understand that we have a history, with people having different views and customs back then to appreciate the artistic and importance of that piece, that’s modern society being morons, that’s not the work not being a classic.

I think people are misunderstanding the reason "Gone With the Wind" is no longer regarded as highly. It is not because it "portrays the racial differences in the south at that time". It is because it ignores the reality of slavery, and any realistic portrayal of the times. It romanticizes the brutality of owning human beings as a gracious romantic time.

It also depicts the Civil War as a just and honorable cause it's hero will fight for, even though he owns no land or property. Meanwhile the "slaves" are shown willing to remain loyal servants to their former owners.
Deleted User 1242

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 pm
Kalea wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:48 pm Old is gold......when movies or tv shows were actually funny. This new stuff is just stupid.
What is the funniest movie youve seen?

I don't know. There are so many of them. While in Florida I watched a lot of romantic comedy on Hallmark. I love watching Tyler Perrys Madea.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm If they don't stand up to the test of time and the changing of society then they aren't classic movies to begin with.
Are you now changing the definition of the word "classic?"
KAG
Mean Girl
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Of course.

PC kills everything.
Locked Previous topicNext topic