Will political correctness kill classic movies?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Older films, and the stars who made them great, are now seen through the PC prism. Just ask the estate of John Wayne. The legendary star got pummeled a few months ago, decades after his passing, for a racially insensitive Playboy interview in 1971. Some critics demanded that his name be stripped from John Wayne Airport in Orange County, Calif.
(snip)
Molly Ringwald, who brought some of John Hughes’s best films to life, turned on her collaborator last year, saying that his films weren’t "woke" enough in our "Me Too" era.
(snip)
Could problematic films eventually be pulled from home video and streaming services?

Sound hysterical? It's currently in vogue to tear down statues that don’t align with current groupthink. So why would pop culture artifacts be spared?

In fact, it’s already been done.

(snip) below are not direct copy and pastes unless in quotes.
Two years ago, a Memphis theater nixed a screening of the 1939 classic “Gone with the Wind” because of its “insensitive” content.
Disney’s Oscar-winning “Song of the South” is basically banned everywhere (see article)

Cosby Show yanked.

Amazon refused to release Woody Allen movies.

read more https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/ ... sic-movies
KAG
Mean Girl
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is a normal process as society evolves. At one point in our history public floggings were considered entertainment and all attended. Likewise, lynchings were frequently large public gatherings with picnics, commemorative photos sold, and souvenirs taken from the corpses.

Our understanding of events, our compassion and sense of morality changes over time. If is didn't, women would still be considered property and orphan children shipped off cheap for farm labor.

We can continue to preserve documentation of these eras, but they aren't always seen in the same way by subsequent generations.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It doesn't make any sense to me to ban classic movies and books and such just because of the content of either the time they were made for or the time they were written. Our history is still our history, ugly parts and all. And watching/reading it now helps us remember the ugly parts of our past so we don't repeat the same mistakes. If we try to bury it all and pretend it didn't happen, then we are doomed to repeat our same mistakes and society will never move forward.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 pm It doesn't make any sense to me to ban classic movies and books and such just because of the content of either the time they were made for or the time they were written. Our history is still our history, ugly parts and all. And watching/reading it now helps us remember the ugly parts of our past so we don't repeat the same mistakes. If we try to bury it all and pretend it didn't happen, then we are doomed to repeat our same mistakes and society will never move forward.
As far as I know nothing has been "banned" unless you are talking about local school libraries. And they tend to ban contemporary books - not "classic" movies. Private content distributors like TV networks, Netflix, Prime Video or Apple are free to carry whatever they think the public will pay to see, or tune in to watch.

Just about every published book, song or movie in the US is the Library of Congress, available for public use. Nothing is getting buried or removed from history.

In my opinion the choice to no longer embraced outdated ideas about "race," religion, gender roles and class are what allows the society to move forward.
Deleted User 1242

Unread post

Old is gold......when movies or tv shows were actually funny. This new stuff is just stupid.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 pm It doesn't make any sense to me to ban classic movies and books and such just because of the content of either the time they were made for or the time they were written. Our history is still our history, ugly parts and all. And watching/reading it now helps us remember the ugly parts of our past so we don't repeat the same mistakes. If we try to bury it all and pretend it didn't happen, then we are doomed to repeat our same mistakes and society will never move forward.
As far as I know nothing has been "banned" unless you are talking about local school libraries. And they tend to ban contemporary books - not "classic" movies. Private content distributors like TV networks, Netflix, Prime Video or Apple are free to carry whatever they think the public will pay to see, or tune in to watch.

Just about every published book, song or movie in the US is the Library of Congress, available for public use. Nothing is getting buried or removed from history.

In my opinion the choice to no longer embraced outdated ideas about "race," religion, gender roles and class are what allows the society to move forward.
When I said "ban" I basically meant these different media outlets refusing to offer certain content just because it's not PC. Basically what the OP was talking about. If we, as a society, shut our eyes and ears to all of that classic media just because it doesn't conform with what we think is right today, it's basically like sticking our heads in the sand IMO.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

If they don't stand up to the test of time and the changing of society then they aren't classic movies to begin with.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That doesn’t make any sense...
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm If they don't stand up to the test of time and the changing of society then they aren't classic movies to begin with.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm That doesn’t make any sense...
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm If they don't stand up to the test of time and the changing of society then they aren't classic movies to begin with.
Sure it does. If the movie has anything in it that is now looked at from a different lens (ie Me Too movement) and deemed to be sexist, then it wasn't truly classic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 pm That doesn’t make any sense...
Sure it does. If the movie has anything in it that is now looked at from a different lens (ie Me Too movement) and deemed to be sexist, then it wasn't truly classic.

The whole point about a "classic" anything--book, movie, you name it is that it comes out of a different time, when people had different notions of what was appropriate.
Locked Previous topicNext topic