Michigan can suspend poor people's driver's licenses for unpaid fines: U.S. appeals court

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:20 am
Francee89 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:42 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm Ok. But absolutely everyone who drives has the option of not speeding. Everyone has the option of using their blinker.

While ok... jackasses might park in the handicapped spot and get a ticket for it, everyone has the option of parking a little farther away if they don't have a disability.

For sure, but the point QOE is making is that the consequences for having these fines are disproportionately burdensome on the poor. If I get a $40 parking ticket, I’m momentarily irritated but it’s not the end of the world. For someone that can’t afford the $40 and who might incur late fees on the $40 they couldn’t afford in the first place trying to save up to pay for it, it’s a huge deal. Obviously people of every socioeconomic status have the option of obeying the regulations in the first place, but the consequences of not doing so are much more severe on the poor.
Everything hurts the poor more
As it should
It's an incentive not to be poor
As it should? An incentive not to be poor? Seriously?
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If you can't afford the fine don't do the crime. I could afford a fine but I don't want to pay one so I don't park or drive illegally. I do accidentally speed once in a while, if I got pulled over then I face the consequences. Every singe person has the option to no break the law.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am

For sure, but the point QOE is making is that the consequences for having these fines are disproportionately burdensome on the poor. If I get a $40 parking ticket, I’m momentarily irritated but it’s not the end of the world. For someone that can’t afford the $40 and who might incur late fees on the $40 they couldn’t afford in the first place trying to save up to pay for it, it’s a huge deal. Obviously people of every socioeconomic status have the option of obeying the regulations in the first place, but the consequences of not doing so are much more severe on the poor.
As it should
As it should? An incentive not to be poor? Seriously?
Si'
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We should have different roads for the poor whoers and the rich bitches.

/s
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:23 pm We should have different roads for the poor whoers and the rich bitches.

/s
Rich people pay for all the infrastructure.
So it won't really matter.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:58 pm Ok. But absolutely everyone who drives has the option of not speeding. Everyone has the option of using their blinker.

While ok... jackasses might park in the handicapped spot and get a ticket for it, everyone has the option of parking a little farther away if they don't have a disability.

As it should
If the point of things like parking and traffic tickets are to deter illegal actions, having them actually be an incentive to not speed or park illegally for everyone would seem to be the most effective.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:30 pm

As it should
If the point of things like parking and traffic tickets are to deter illegal actions, having them actually be an incentive to not speed or park illegally for everyone would seem to be the most effective.
So you, I, and the court agree that being poor should not make you exempt.
Excellent.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Billie.jeens wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:33 pm

As it should
Excellent.
I certainly haven’t argued that they should be exempt, just that I think fines should be within a range, set proportionate to income.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:36 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Excellent.
I certainly haven’t argued that they should be exempt, just that I think fines should be within a range, set proportionate to income.
Should prices be set for everything in that manner?
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Okay, I am fine with this. Don't get fines if you can't pay them.
Locked Previous topicNext topic