Michigan can suspend poor people's driver's licenses for unpaid fines: U.S. appeals court

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

morgan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:40 am The government in Ontario does the same thing and even more. Here, a driver's license can be suspended for unpaid fines of any motor vehicle violation, and the registration can not be renewed for any parking tickets, red light camera tickets or similar. Furthermore, licenses can be suspended for child support arrears, driving with no insurance, etc. I believe there are actually 22 ways to get it suspended.
But....what about the poor people who can't afford to pay the ticket? What does Canada do about them?
It wouldn't be "Canada" as just like south of the border, driving and related things are provincial (state) matters. Some jurisdictions such as Ontario do have fine payment option programs for people who can't afford to pay the fines. What I see often is that the poorer drivers who do get tickets don't show for court where they can ask for the ticket to be reduced and then some form of payment or program in lieu of payment.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

the headline is misleading.
its not set out to target people based on their income bracket. Its targeting people with unpaid violations and [of course] not exclusive to Michigan.

"In a Sept. 2017 report, the nonprofit Legal Aid Justice Center said 43 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. allowed license suspensions because of unpaid court debt, and 40 states allowed suspensions without regard to drivers' ability to pay"

Michigan is also a no-fault state and insurance is pretty high here. Its expensive to drive period.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Not misleading -
THIS Story is -

The Cincinnati-based appeals court set aside a Dec. 2017 injunction blocking Michigan from enforcing a law allowing the suspensions.

Lotus wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 11:08 am the headline is misleading.
its not set out to target people based on their income bracket. Its targeting people with unpaid violations and [of course] not exclusive to Michigan.

"In a Sept. 2017 report, the nonprofit Legal Aid Justice Center said 43 U.S. states and Washington, D.C. allowed license suspensions because of unpaid court debt, and 40 states allowed suspensions without regard to drivers' ability to pay"

Michigan is also a no-fault state and insurance is pretty high here. Its expensive to drive period.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Deleted User 1074

Unread post

democrats are complaining when they're the ones who make driving expensive. you should see the registration fees in CA along with the demand that people get smogged every 2 years, that effects poor people disproportionately because they usually drive older cars. if you're concerned about how unfair it is that everything is a bigger burden for the poor then open your wallet and help them out.
Deleted User 969

Unread post

Eh. My husband and I have an income in the top 5% and, I assure you, even a $30 ticket would deter me. I’d argue it’s less about money and more about being a prick. Pricks will still be pricks no matter the cost.
Francee89 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm
Francee89 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:36 pm

I certainly haven’t argued that they should be exempt, just that I think fines should be within a range, set proportionate to income.
Should prices be set for everything in that manner?
No. In this instance, if you’re trying to set fines as a deterrent for illegal parking or speeding, having the fine proportionate to income helps it actually serve its purpose.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:08 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:36 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Have you ever had a light out (headlight, taillight, running lights, blinkers) that you just simply didn't have the money to repair?
Those get tickets because they are safety measures.

Without headlights everyone driving around you and pedestrians are at risk . Without blinkers accidents happen much more frequently.

Not being able to afford fixing it is not an excuse to make driving more dangerous for everyone else.
How much do these lights cost to replace today? What is the price of a Toyota Tacoma headlight or taillight assembly? Or any other 15 or 20 year old vehicle?
For a bulb for a 2012 ford about ten dollars. Advanced Auto installed it for me for free...
Locked Previous topicNext topic