Unemployment claims lowest since 1969 despite workforce twice the size as Trump economy roars ahead

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The U.S. Labor Department reports that for the third week in a row, unemployment claims have hit low levels not seen since September of 1969 and that the less volatile four-week moving average has reached lows last achieved in November of 1969. What makes this milestone stunning is that the unemployment claims number is not adjusted for how many people are in the labor force, and today there are almost twice the number of people in the workforce than in 1969.

That’s right. We have twice the workforce size and the same number of people claiming unemployment, sure-fire sign that the economy is robust and based upon our nation’s economic history, the economy would be in good shape even if 50 percent more people were filing unemployment claims each week.

http://dailytorch.com/2019/04/unemploym ... ars-ahead/
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I find the Labor participation rate a more accurate measure to look at. We peaked Q1 of 2000 and have declined since then. I'd like to see that turn and start growing.

According to the above article there are about 7 million jobs available. Yet only 63% of the available workforce is actually 'participating ' according to BLS data.

I'm pleased with the economy but I'll be satisfied much more if the labor participation rate jumps back to at least 67 and the debt / deficit is reduced.

My assessment is that the only way this will be achieved is through reduction in social program spending - a tough job.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Locked Previous topicNext topic