Trump warns Mexico over guns drawn on US troops: ‘Better not happen again!

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:58 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:16 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:04 pm What I get from these comments and what I see in these comments are extreme liberals who would rather blame our men on our land and take Mexico’s side because they have such deep hatred for president Trump. What has our country come to!
This doesn’t seem like an issue that needs sides or to be made into a dramatic issue. It was a simple misunderstanding that the border guards on both sides resolved quickly. Trump, in his typical Twitter fashion, blew it way out of proportion totally unnecessarily.
Well I would take it pretty seriously to have a gun pointed at me. I think you’re down playing it. Just because they resolved the problem doesn’t mean it isn’t a big deal and didn’t have potential for disaster. IMO none of our men should be at the border unarmed. I think it’s a no brainer that they should always be armed.
They weren’t unarmed. The incident report states that the US soldiers were armed as well. It also states that the soldiers followed all proper protocol and procedures for the situation. A military spokesperson also said: “We believe this brief exchange was a misunderstanding concerning the location of the unmarked U.S. surveillance vehicle and an honest mistake by the Mexican soldiers. The Mexican military has been and continues to be a great partner with the United States military."

When the military determined that it was an honest mistake from a “great partner”, how is Trump’s baseless assertion that they were probably just doing it to help drug smugglers at all helpful?
BionicBunny
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:08 pm

This doesn’t seem like an issue that needs sides or to be made into a dramatic issue. It was a simple misunderstanding that the border guards on both sides resolved quickly. Trump, in his typical Twitter fashion, blew it way out of proportion totally unnecessarily.
Well I would take it pretty seriously to have a gun pointed at me. I think you’re down playing it. Just because they resolved the problem doesn’t mean it isn’t a big deal and didn’t have potential for disaster. IMO none of our men should be at the border unarmed. I think it’s a no brainer that they should always be armed.
They weren’t unarmed. The incident report states that the US soldiers were armed as well. It also states that the soldiers followed all proper protocol and procedures for the situation. A military spokesperson also said: “We believe this brief exchange was a misunderstanding concerning the location of the unmarked U.S. surveillance vehicle and an honest mistake by the Mexican soldiers. The Mexican military has been and continues to be a great partner with the United States military."

When the military determined that it was an honest mistake from a “great partner”, how is Trump’s baseless assertion that they were probably just doing it to help drug smugglers at all helpful?
If it was such a peaceful misunderstanding then why point guns at all? These are the kinds of mistakes that cost lives.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am Seems to me he wants bloodshed on the border.
Umm Mexico is the one pointing guns at our guys. I would say they are to blame.
How should an unmarked vehicle so close to the order be viewed? How much have you read about this incident? Why do we have a POTUS who rants like a five year old tyrant?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 pm

If it was such a peaceful misunderstanding then why point guns at all? These are the kinds of mistakes that cost lives.
I’d imagine it was because the US soldiers were in an unmarked car, and the Mexican soldiers had no idea if they were legitimate or not. Once they talked and realized the situation, both parties moved on.

How is Trump’s baseless assertion they probably did it only to help drug smugglers - contradicting the military, who said it was an honest mistake from a great partner - at all acceptable or helpful?
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It’s not helpful to anyone but him. For the people actually at the border, it’s dangerous rhetoric, but for him, it’s more propaganda to rile his base. He knows he can just say whatever and since conservatives don’t care about facts, they will march to whatever drumbeat he sets without hesitation, without bothering to take five minutes to learn about the actual facts of whatever the situation is. It works every time.

Locked Previous topicNext topic