Second Parkland shooting survivor commits suicide within span of a week

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Another survivor of the Parkland, Fla. school shooting has apparently committed suicide — the second such tragic death in the span of a week, a report said Sunday. The student, identified only as a male sophomore still attending Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, died in “an apparent suicide” on Saturday night, reported The Miami Herald, citing local police and sources.
https://nypost.com/2019/03/24/second-pa ... of-a-week/
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How very sad.
There were so many resources available to these kids, I wonder if this boy didn't take advantage or of the help was not enough. People are affected by tragedies in such different ways, I believe only a professional can help them through it.

I sought help when my son was deployed. He was on guard duty one day and was talking to the guy on guard to his right, his friend, 50 feet away. All of a sudden a grenade came over the fence / wall and killed the young man instantly. Mid sentence. My son called and cried and cried. I felt so helpless. And disgusted. It took me a long time to get over that phone call. And I didn't experience it firsthand.

My heart is sad for this boy and his family.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Deleted User 276

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:29 pm How very sad.
There were so many resources available to these kids, I wonder if this boy didn't take advantage or of the help was not enough. People are affected by tragedies in such different ways, I believe only a professional can help them through it.

I sought help when my son was deployed. He was on guard duty one day and was talking to the guy on guard to his right, his friend, 50 feet away. All of a sudden a grenade came over the fence / wall and killed the young man instantly. Mid sentence. My son called and cried and cried. I felt so helpless. And disgusted. It took me a long time to get over that phone call. And I didn't experience it firsthand.

I am so sorry for your son as I know first hand how combat can affect a loved one. I am surprised, however, from your previous posts. It sounded as if you felt that those who weren't actually injured in the Parkland shooting weren't actually victims? Do you think differently now?
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:06 pm

I am so sorry for your son as I know first hand how combat can affect a loved one. I am surprised, however, from your previous posts. It sounded as if you felt that those who weren't actually injured in the Parkland shooting weren't actually victims? Do you think differently now?
Thanks.

No change in my opinion.
They are not victims. They can be affected by tragedy but that doesn't equate to being a victim, in my opinion.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks.

No change in my opinion.
They are not victims. They can be affected by tragedy but that doesn't equate to being a victim, in my opinion.
I see your son as a victim of war and I wish only the best support for him. Do you not see him as such?
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks.

No change in my opinion.
I see your son as a victim of war and I wish only the best support for him. Do you not see him as such?
He was directly involved.
He participated.
He wasn't serving on a base in Afghanistan cooking. That's the difference. If you have a prep-cook that never leaves the "safe base" although in the area, not witnessing or participating - not a victim.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks.

No change in my opinion.
He participated.
He wasn't serving on a base in Afghanistan cooking. That's the difference. If you have a prep-cook that never leaves the "safe base" although in the area, not witnessing or participating - not a victim.
It's an interesting and very specific line you draw between victim and non-victim. I hope that your son gets the help he needs but I also hope that people who might not fall into line with your idea of "victimhood" also get the help that they need. As someone who lives with a loved one suffering from PTSD, I find your criteria very lacking.
Libbylu2
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm

He participated.
It's an interesting and very specific line you draw between victim and non-victim. I hope that your son gets the help he needs but I also hope that people who might not fall into line with your idea of "victimhood" also get the help that they need. As someone who lives with a loved one suffering from PTSD, I find your criteria very lacking.
My brother was in the Army in January 1968 in Saigon during the Tet Offensive and two of his buddies were killed standing right next to him in their building during an invasion . He’s had PTSD since. Just being there was enough . He wasn’t wounded physically but he was emotionally wounded.

So the kids in Parkland were deeply effected by the shootings even though they werent hurt . This just breaks my heart.
YoYiggy
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I have no words. 😔
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm
msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm

He participated.
My brother was in the Army in January 1968 in Saigon during the Tet Offensive and two of his buddies were killed standing right next to him in their building during an invasion . He’s had PTSD since. Just being there was enough . He wasn’t wounded physically but he was emotionally wounded.

So the kids in Parkland were deeply effected by the shootings even though they werent hurt . This just breaks my heart.
My husband had to scrape up, video tape, and catalogue victims of a suicide bombing. These were his friends and he has been changed forever because of it. Everyone posted at the US embassy at the time were changed as well as their family members. Personally, I hate that laymen and laywomen try to put limits on who can or cannot be called a victim. It shows an extreme ignorance and lack of empathy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic