Second Parkland shooting survivor commits suicide within span of a week

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:20 pm
msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:12 pm

I see your son as a victim of war and I wish only the best support for him. Do you not see him as such?
He was directly involved.
He participated.
He wasn't serving on a base in Afghanistan cooking. That's the difference. If you have a prep-cook that never leaves the "safe base" although in the area, not witnessing or participating - not a victim.
It's an interesting and very specific line you draw between victim and non-victim. I hope that your son gets the help he needs but I also hope that people who might not fall into line with your idea of "victimhood" also get the help that they need. As someone who lives with a loved one suffering from PTSD, I find your criteria very lacking.
I don't see why someone has to be classified as a victim or not. These kids saw their friends die. They're 16, 17 years old. I'm sure I'd be taking to the bottle if I were in their shoes and I'm 52. Why not just treat them and soldiers for PTSD or better yet figure out how we can stop growing homemade terrorists?
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 pm
Libbylu2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm
msb64 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm

It's an interesting and very specific line you draw between victim and non-victim. I hope that your son gets the help he needs but I also hope that people who might not fall into line with your idea of "victimhood" also get the help that they need. As someone who lives with a loved one suffering from PTSD, I find your criteria very lacking.
My brother was in the Army in January 1968 in Saigon during the Tet Offensive and two of his buddies were killed standing right next to him in their building during an invasion . He’s had PTSD since. Just being there was enough . He wasn’t wounded physically but he was emotionally wounded.

So the kids in Parkland were deeply effected by the shootings even though they werent hurt . This just breaks my heart.
My husband had to scrape up, video tape, and catalogue victims of a suicide bombing. These were his friends and he has been changed forever because of it. Everyone posted at the US embassy at the time were changed as well as their family members. Personally, I hate that laymen and laywomen try to put limits on who can or cannot be called a victim. It shows an extreme ignorance and lack of empathy.
I disagree with your last sentence. Do you really think it’s helpful to label anyone and everyone effected by a traumatic experience as a victim? Because it’s not. There’s a difference between a being victim and being effected by a traumatic experience. Saying someone was effected by a traumatic experience does not dismiss that experience or the effects as you seem to think. I know people who’ve suffered from ptsd and survivors guilt, calling them victims did more damage than any good.
Locked Previous topicNext topic