Amid record homelessness, a Texas think tank tries to upend how states tackle it

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 pm I mean… there’s two things going on here-

1) everyone wants everyone to be housed. No one wants homeless people, it would be much better if they could all be given houses…

2) in order to give everyone housing, you have to take from others. You have to be willing to take what someone else worked for, and give it to someone that didn’t work towards it. Which places our financial and anti-communist freedoms at a bit of a conundrum…

So we have to choose between the two.
Really it's up to individual municipalities as to how they allocate their funds. You are free to lodge a complaint if yours decides to use funds for building housing for the homeless.

There are also multiple non-profits that provide housing for homeless, particularly homeless vets. Surely taking donations is acceptable, isn't it?
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 pm I mean… there’s two things going on here-

1) everyone wants everyone to be housed. No one wants homeless people, it would be much better if they could all be given houses…

2) in order to give everyone housing, you have to take from others. You have to be willing to take what someone else worked for, and give it to someone that didn’t work towards it. Which places our financial and anti-communist freedoms at a bit of a conundrum…

We already pay for it. We just need reinvest into something that works.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:03 pm Amid record homelessness, a Texas think tank tries to upend how states tackle it
I don't think their 'solution' tackles homelessness at all.

The only thing it tackles is how visible it is.

If anything, giving homeless people criminal records for being homeless in visible places is going to make it harder for them to get jobs, and therefore make it harder for them to stop being homeless.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:41 pm

Really it's up to individual municipalities as to how they allocate their funds. You are free to lodge a complaint if yours decides to use funds for building housing for the homeless.

There are also multiple non-profits that provide housing for homeless, particularly homeless vets. Surely taking donations is acceptable, isn't it?
In the state of Florida, under DeSantis, local municipalities are overruled by state law for some things.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Deleted User 1511

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:24 am

In the state of Florida, under DeSantis, local municipalities are overruled by state law for some things.
Which really sucks if you live in Florida.

The homeless population can't be completely addressed at a federal level or even state level as each district has a different demographic of homeless which have different needs. For example, in my tri-county area, the majority of our homeless population are victims of domestic abuse. The next largest group are those who are homeless due to unaffordable rent and this includes disabled, vets, and elderly population.

You know, it just seems like a "duh" to me. Get homeless into safe housing which gives them a permanent address. Assist them to apply for benefits that they qualify for. Get them on Medicaid and address any physical or mental health conditions - get them healthy. Assist them with job training and job placement to enable those who can are able to be gainfully employed. If they are already employed or once employed, have them provide a portion of wages to rent (this is what HUD does). All of these things require someone to be in a permanent housing situation so it has to come first. Self-sufficiency should be the goal, not the starting point.

It pisses me off that a state would rather incarcerate someone who is homeless (at an average of $45,000 a year) rather than provide them with housing. Look to see who profits and you can see the motivation.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:20 am

The homeless population can't be completely addressed at a federal level or even state level as each district has a different demographic of homeless which have different needs. For example, in my tri-county area, the majority of our homeless population are victims of domestic abuse. The next largest group are those who are homeless due to unaffordable rent and this includes disabled, vets, and elderly population.

You know, it just seems like a "duh" to me. Get homeless into safe housing which gives them a permanent address. Assist them to apply for benefits that they qualify for. Get them on Medicaid and address any physical or mental health conditions - get them healthy. Assist them with job training and job placement to enable those who can are able to be gainfully employed. If they are already employed or once employed, have them provide a portion of wages to rent (this is what HUD does). All of these things require someone to be in a permanent housing situation so it has to come first. Self-sufficiency should be the goal, not the starting point.

It pisses me off that a state would rather incarcerate someone who is homeless (at an average of $45,000 a year) rather than provide them with housing. Look to see who profits and you can see the motivation.

“Really sucks if you live in Florida” should be the state motto 😅

But yes, I completely agree with everything you said. It makes no sense to me to criminalize homelessness and incarcerate these people rather than provide them with housing and resources for self-sufficiency. Especially in a state where rent is out of control.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So if the town can designate an area for the homeless if there are no beds available in shelters, can't they just declare the camping site a designated area and leave it at that?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 am

But yes, I completely agree with everything you said. It makes no sense to me to criminalize homelessness and incarcerate these people rather than provide them with housing and resources for self-sufficiency. Especially in a state where rent is out of control.
Looks like the Republicans campaign to destroy public education is working too. 😔

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/2 ... s-00159926
306/232

SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:27 am

Looks like the Republicans campaign to destroy public education is working too. 😔

Yes. It is. 😔
I’m currently in Broward and it’s bad. Really bad. A lot of confusion and talk about school closures or condensing. My specific school was not on the chopping block list, but we are seriously under enrolled. My position may be in question for next year, depending on our numbers.

It’s really hard watching your profession that you love self implode.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:08 am
Della wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:27 am

Yes. It is. 😔
I’m currently in Broward and it’s bad. Really bad. A lot of confusion and talk about school closures or condensing. My specific school was not on the chopping block list, but we are seriously under enrolled. My position may be in question for next year, depending on our numbers.

It’s really hard watching your profession that you love self implode.
My county (Duval) is too. A complete realignment is in the works. My kids are adults now but they are pretty mad about the local elementary school they went to closing.
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic