Dave Portnoy unloads on anti-Israel college protesters: 'I wouldn't hire any of these activists

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:49 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:31 pm
Della wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:04 pm

These are the same people who went against freedom in the fifties and sixties.
Who the protesters?
Probably not since they'd have to be Boomers and Gen X. Actually even the oldest Gen X were children in the sixties. As for Portnoy Idk exactly who he is. But if he doesn't want to hire the activists that's his business. If the activists are targeting Jews that have nothing to do with Israel I don't blame him. If they are committing acts of vandalism I don't blame him. That's no way to hold a protest. If he doesn't want to hire a peaceful activist then he could be hurting himself. These people might have a strong sense of justice and morality. The problem is the violent activists hurt the cause.
I agree. IDK much about this guy, so my comment is really general. IMHO, I consider this rioting by extremists hiding behind labels because this isn't how activism or strategic protesting works. So, I don't agree with lumping them all in the same category, but I don't blame any business owner for discouraging this extreme behavior in the workplace.

I hate to see some of these college kids put their future careers at risk by repeating what they have seen adults do.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:54 pm I’m so sick of it all, I’m just anti-protesters…

I don’t care what the protest is about, who you’re protesting for, what you’re mad at…

Either become a lobbiest or I don’t want to hear about it.
I used to want to be a lobbyist when I was a kid. It's almost impossible to lobby nowadays unless you work for a major corporation. That's why we are the United States of Big Business.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 1:45 pm I understand that a lot of these protests are peaceful. I can even understand the anger that facilitates rioting as a TEMPORARY knee jerk reaction. But I feel like we (general) are using that as an excuse to minimize how extreme these protests have gotten and the people exploiting multiple oppressed groups are getting a pass. It did not help Black people and it's not going to help Jews or Palestinians.

There is a group of people jumping from cause to cause looking for a reason to fight and we (general) are tolerating it.
Who the protesters?
No. People like Portnoy.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:30 pm

Who the protesters?
No. People like Portnoy.
Oh my comment was general, not Portnoy.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Was that another of his way “off the mark” jokes? I don’t see these protester as being interested in working for someone who said Kaepernick looked like an ISIS terrorist and wasn’t really that Black. Maybe it’s his “joke” that size 6 women who wear skinny jeans deserve to be rape, or that a 20 yr old employee will look too “gross” at 25 to be on camera, or video recording an employee without consent and posting it that he thinks will make them interested in working for him.

Yes, these protest will effect their future employment, but Fox should probably find someone less skeezy to quote on this.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

His comment re the protesters is no different than many other potential employers in this matter.
Mo employer wants to hire a potential disrupter or someone that will be difficult to work with. We can go into what ifs and what abouts or how woulds, but this is how the protesters are seen once they crossed over to destroying property ( spray painting divest and some other crap) and rioting and trespassing ( like taking over a building).
Just like the tattoo chic that complained she was nit hired bc of her horns and facial tats, and some on here said an employer has a right to pick and choose which employees they hire to represent their company, well same applies here.
Portnoy has done some good lately. He raised thousands fir the families of 2 policemen killed in the line of duty. And he adopted an abused pitbull, Miss peaches. He has raised over $400k for rescues across the country. He is bringing awareness to the animals in need of rescue that are usually killed and overlooked at shelters- usually pitties, german shepherds, dobermans, etc.
This is why he's being given a voice despite the stupid shit he's said in the past.
As for me, I'm all there for the famous Miss Peaches videos as the pitty lives her best life😊 Sge's currently romping on the beach in Nantucket🥰
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am His comment re the protesters is no different than many other potential employers in this matter.
Mo employer wants to hire a potential disrupter or someone that will be difficult to work with. We can go into what ifs and what abouts or how woulds, but this is how the protesters are seen once they crossed over to destroying property ( spray painting divest and some other crap) and rioting and trespassing ( like taking over a building).
Just like the tattoo chic that complained she was nit hired bc of her horns and facial tats, and some on here said an employer has a right to pick and choose which employees they hire to represent their company, well same applies here.
Portnoy has done some good lately. He raised thousands fir the families of 2 policemen killed in the line of duty. And he adopted an abused pitbull, Miss peaches. He has raised over $400k for rescues across the country. He is bringing awareness to the animals in need of rescue that are usually killed and overlooked at shelters- usually pitties, german shepherds, dobermans, etc.
This is why he's being given a voice despite the stupid shit he's said in the past.
As for me, I'm all there for the famous Miss Peaches videos as the pitty lives her best life😊 Sge's currently romping on the beach in Nantucket🥰
The reason I called it virtue signaling is because while perhaps not the intent, practically speaking is that unless a protestor was caught on video, arrested, or expelled, there is no way for an employer to know if or if they weren't involved in protest.

My worry is that employers will enact policy that leads to racial profiling in their efforts to bar protestors, i.e., Arab American graduates from Columbia will internally be labelled "unemployable".
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I can certainly understand that. But these same profilings existed before these protests. We saw it after 9/11 and on. My husband's colleague experienced it after the Boston bombings.
It is unfortunate, but these actions of rioting and property destruction only furthers whatever profiling and prejudices already exist towards the Arab immigrants and now extend to Arab Americans , if they don't already exist.

WellPreserved wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:02 pm
cgd5112 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am His comment re the protesters is no different than many other potential employers in this matter.
The reason I called it virtue signaling is because while perhaps not the intent, practically speaking is that unless a protestor was caught on video, arrested, or expelled, there is no way for an employer to know if or if they weren't involved in protest.

My worry is that employers will enact policy that leads to racial profiling in their efforts to bar protestors, i.e., Arab American graduates from Columbia will internally be labelled "unemployable".
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Tough. That’s what the Jewish students are going through at the hands of these anarchists. They hate Israel so they make these students- who have no saying in what goes on in the war- become targets of harassment and assault just because they support Israel. Actually Jews all over the world are going through that. I myself was called here a, what was it? A “blood thirsty f**k” for pointing out that the UN finally admitted that Hamas’ casualty numbers have been doubled what they really are.
So they got a taste of their own medicine. Good.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:35 pm I can certainly understand that. But these same profilings existed before these protests. We saw it after 9/11 and on. My husband's colleague experienced it after the Boston bombings.
It is unfortunate, but these actions of rioting and property destruction only furthers whatever profiling and prejudices already exist towards the Arab immigrants and now extend to Arab Americans , if they don't already exist.

1000% agree. That is why it needs to stop because too many minority groups have to deal with this and it hurts us more than it will ever help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic