US Supreme Court Judge Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mr.Smile wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 pm RIP, she had some wise insights.

It's no secret that I don't like this man. But, props to him for actually responding with humility and genuine words of praise.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

RIP RBG
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

californiagirl83 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:31 pm
Mr.Smile wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:50 pm RIP, she had some wise insights.

It's no secret that I don't like this man. But, props to him for actually responding with humility and genuine words of praise.
Right?!? I despise him as much as anybody, but I was actually pleasantly surprised, for once, by this response.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:24 pm
Mommamia wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm We need a full court before Election Day. If this election turns into another Gore v Bush event, we have to have 9 justices, not 8 that could end up in a tie.

She was certainly an amazing woman, though I vehemently disagreed with her political activism. Honor her, give her her due, then get on with the business of running this country.
They're really freaking out. I jumped on Twitter for 2 minutes just to look around. Isn't it 30 days before the election none of them can be replaced? Just missed the deadline.
No. There is no such restriction. Other than a recess app't, there isnt enough time to get a new Justice on the SC. So, technically, McConnell could recess the senate for three days, then Trump could make a recess app't and that new judge could begin immediately. However, there still have to be confirmation hearings before the end of that congress (Jan 2021).. I can't see a Justice who would want an app't that way. They would be considered illegitimate by the opposing party.

On average it takes two to three months for confirmation hearings. After listening to many knowledgeable people and opinions tonight, what Trump should probably do is announce who he will nominate, then McConnell should sit on the vote until after election day. That way, every voter will know who and what kind of judge that will be if we all vote for him.

There is a female circuit court judge on his list, mother of 6 or 7 kids, whom a lot of people think he should nominate. She has an excellent judicial record. I think it would be very smart of him to nominate a woman for many reasons. One of those reasons would be it would thwart the lying dems from digging up and paying more women to lie that 'he raped me', 'we had an affair', he's sexist, an on and on.

Then you have perv Joe who has locked himself into a box, yet again. He announced he would app't a black woman justice. Pandering old fool.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm I hate this 😔

She was such a strong woman and a POWERHOUSE.
May she Rest In Peace.

One of her final wishes, as dictated to her daughter, was that she not be replaced until a new president is installed.
I ardently hope this administration does not try to fill her vacancy until after the election.
Fortunately, our SC justices are not appt'd to satisfy a dying justice's wishes.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mommamia wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:46 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:24 pm
Mommamia wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:00 pm We need a full court before Election Day. If this election turns into another Gore v Bush event, we have to have 9 justices, not 8 that could end up in a tie.

She was certainly an amazing woman, though I vehemently disagreed with her political activism. Honor her, give her her due, then get on with the business of running this country.
They're really freaking out. I jumped on Twitter for 2 minutes just to look around. Isn't it 30 days before the election none of them can be replaced? Just missed the deadline.
No. There is no such restriction. Other than a recess app't, there isnt enough time to get a new Justice on the SC. So, technically, McConnell could recess the senate for three days, then Trump could make a recess app't and that new judge could begin immediately. However, there still have to be confirmation hearings before the end of that congress (Jan 2021).. I can't see a Justice who would want an app't that way. They would be considered illegitimate by the opposing party.

On average it takes two to three months for confirmation hearings. After listening to many knowledgeable people and opinions tonight, what Trump should probably do is announce who he will nominate, then McConnell should sit on the vote until after election day. That way, every voter will know who and what kind of judge that will be if we all vote for him.

There is a female circuit court judge on his list, mother of 6 or 7 kids, whom a lot of people think he should nominate. She has an excellent judicial record. I think it would be very smart of him to nominate a woman for many reasons. One of those reasons would be it would thwart the lying dems from digging up and paying more women to lie that 'he raped me', 'we had an affair', he's sexist, an on and on.

Then you have perv Joe who has locked himself into a box, yet again. He announced he would app't a black woman justice. Pandering old fool.
Yes, I can't think of her name but I know who you're talking about. We're definitely living in interesting times.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Not surprised by the news, but she certainly fought a good fight. May she RIP.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The hypocrisy of the Republicans is astounding..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

McConnell ensured there was an 8 person Court during the 2016 election, and Republicans had no problem with that. There’s no need for it to be a 9 person Court simply because of an election.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:22 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm I hate this 😔

She was such a strong woman and a POWERHOUSE.
May she Rest In Peace.

One of her final wishes, as dictated to her daughter, was that she not be replaced until a new president is installed.
I ardently hope this administration does not try to fill her vacancy until after the election.
Can they leave a spot vacant for 4 years?
Yes. Ted Cruz proposed doing just that in 2016 when the Republicans wouldn’t give Obama’s nominee Merrick Garland a vote, but there was concern about what would happen if Clinton won and nominated a less moderate judge: https://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ ... ade-230363
Locked Previous topicNext topic