I am really concerned for my son

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Most in this forum know that he has an autoimmune disease, alopecia. He has lost the hair on his head and now his eyebrows. It has been rough for him but he's handling everything so much better than he did last year. He has accepted that this is something he will have for life.

My concern now is the past month he has no appetite, none. And it is showing in his body. To me, he looks underweight, very underweight. He is just not hungry. I make dinner and he eats it because he knows the choice to not eat is not there. I don't force him to eat breakfast or lunch. And if he does say he's hungry before dinner, I make him something because I am just trying to get something into him system. I don't know if this is just a thing he's going through or if something more is going on. He has a doc appointment coming up and I can't wait to talk about this.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Ask about zinc levels when you see the doc. In fact a full blood panel should be run for other deficiencies (vitamin and minerals). Zinc deficiencies are seen in anorexic people. There is even a quick oral test. It's called the zinc challenge. A bit of liquid zinc sulphate is put in water. If your levels are deficient, then you don't taste the zinc. If you are not deficient then the water tastes metallic. Other things that can cause loss of appetite is low levels of vitamins D, folate and b12 and low level of the minerals calcium, potassium and iron.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd have them run a blood panel on him to rule out deficiencies. Is he stressed out because of it? I ask because when I get stressed out, my appetite disappears, and I was just curious if maybe that happened to him too? I hope the doctor will be able to give you some answers.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have no advice medically, but wanted to tell you about Kevin Bull. He is on the show American Ninja Warrior, and has alopecia. He is one of the best athletes/ninjas on that show, and works with kids that have alopecia.

If you haven't heard of him, I encourage you to look him up online.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did I read at one point, that you struggled gaining weight as well, though?

I would continue to encourage high cal foods. I am sorry. I hope everything turns out ok?
Reedusstalker

Unread post

CotterpinDoozer wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm I'd have them run a blood panel on him to rule out deficiencies. Is he stressed out because of it? I ask because when I get stressed out, my appetite disappears, and I was just curious if maybe that happened to him too? I hope the doctor will be able to give you some answers.
Hes completely accepting of it so no stress. Everyone else tells me he doesnt look too thin but of course, im still worried. Im going to see how much he weighs and go from there
Reedusstalker

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 pm I have no advice medically, but wanted to tell you about Kevin Bull. He is on the show American Ninja Warrior, and has alopecia. He is one of the best athletes/ninjas on that show, and works with kids that have alopecia.

I actually follow him on Instagram
Reedusstalker

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm Did I read at one point, that you struggled gaining weight as well, though?

I would continue to encourage high cal foods. I am sorry. I hope everything turns out ok?
I did so thats another thing. And my husband was very thin as a kid so its like, maybe hes just like us, you know
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:04 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm Did I read at one point, that you struggled gaining weight as well, though?

I did so thats another thing. And my husband was very thin as a kid so its like, maybe hes just like us, you know
I am glad you are seeking medical opinion and hopefully it will provide reassurance, but it is certainly a logical explanation, it is simply a family trait.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm
cellomom26 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:33 pm I have no advice medically, but wanted to tell you about Kevin Bull. He is on the show American Ninja Warrior, and has alopecia. He is one of the best athletes/ninjas on that show, and works with kids that have alopecia.

I actually follow him on Instagram
He seems like a great guy. I'd love to see him win it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic