How much do your food costs go up during the summer?

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We meal plan and try to bargain shop but sometimes I have a hard time keeping up with how hungry my kids get during the summer. I know it's partially boredom but they're also home for lunch which they usually have at school. And, my step kids come to stay for extended periods. So, our grocery bill has gone up quite a bit so far this summer.

One thing that's helping is that I told my kids I would NOT buy them any more snack foods- not even healthy ones- until they started eating fruit every day for a snack. They did and what do you know, they haven't asked for chips in a week.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mine hasn't changed that much simply because my DD brought lunch from home. A big snack in my house though is popcorn. We air pop it, and kernels are inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Also keeping, yogurt, cottage cheese, cuties, apple slices (with peanut butter) and bananas on hand have helped too.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mine has gone up a bit. We drink a ton more beverages in the summer. I know, water is free, but we buy a bunch of juice boxes, Gatorade, soda, sparkling water and then I tend to drink more wine, lol, it adds up!

I should totally get rid of unhealthy snacks for health reasons, but I love sweet and salty too much.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Mine doesn't change much at all. I pack their lunches every day when school is one so it's pretty much the same.
Imacarolinamom
Villein
Villein

Unread post

OMG.. I think my boys legs are hollow!! My grocery bill has increased by about $100 a week. Between having friends over and my kids new eating hobby (lol) we are spending alot more!! Cereal, milk, fruit and snacks are expensive!! I don't mind though. I love them having friends over.
AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This is really the first year I have dealt with this. DS will be in first grade this fall. So far, it hasn't been too bad. I have noticed that it has been a little more spendy, but I'm not complaining.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Grocery costs for us skyrocket in the summer because my kid will eat every damned thing in the house while I'm at work. I have gone out 24 hrs after grocery shopping to replace things because she devoured them almost as soon as I'd put them into the cupboard or fridge.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It really doesn't. We homeschool so eating habits really don't change in the summer.
Madeyemoody
Countess
Countess

Unread post

A bit but not much. I’d say my biggest change during summer is the amount of water and snacks I buy. We have more kids in and out during summer vs the school year because my kids always have friends over, they are teen boys and preteen girls and omg can they eat!!!!
Locked Previous topicNext topic