Do you thrift?

mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

One of the easiest changes I've made is that I now buy the majority of my children's clothing from thrift stores. We always thrift first before we go to a retail store, unless we are looking for something special or unique. Then, we buy whatever we need or couldn't find at a regular store.

I still have a hard time with finding thrift store clothes for myself but I also rarely shop for myself these days.

I've been using this "system" for about a year now and I would guess I've saved about $1K on clothing for my kiddos.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

For the summer, I also take my two to the thrift store for their summer clothes. For school, we will look there but at that time, there is usually nothing there.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Does Walmart clearance rack count as thrifting? I buy both my boys clothes whenever they go on the clearance rack at walmart. I'll buy like 100 dollars worth of clothes and walk out with a full basket of shorts and t-shirts.
You can get an awful lot when you're paying between 1-3 dollars for everything.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Sometimes. I have to be in the mood for it. I refuse to shop Goodwill. Their prices are crazy high. Our Salvation Army does half off on Wednesdays so if the mood strikes I'll pop in there on a Wednesday sometimes. I wish we still had Savers. They used to get all sorts of good stuff for cheap.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:57 pm Does Walmart clearance rack count as thrifting? I buy both my boys clothes whenever they go on the clearance rack at walmart. I'll buy like 100 dollars worth of clothes and walk out with a full basket of shorts and t-shirts.
You can get an awful lot when you're paying between 1-3 dollars for everything.
LOL I would definitely say thrifting means previously owned clothes. But it's awesome that you find those deals. I don't shop at Walmart often enough any more to see them and when I do see clearance racks, they're never that cheap. I'd take advantage of it if I saw it, though. My kids are growing like weeds, I can't keep up.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:46 am Sometimes. I have to be in the mood for it. I refuse to shop Goodwill. Their prices are crazy high. Our Salvation Army does half off on Wednesdays so if the mood strikes I'll pop in there on a Wednesday sometimes. I wish we still had Savers. They used to get all sorts of good stuff for cheap.
Maybe it depends on the area, I just don't notice a huge price difference. I prefer Value Village, though, because they also have half-off coupons and they give teachers a discount every day, I think.
Superbutt
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I donate clothes to thrift stores and shop at them, as well. I like Plato's Closet and Once Upon A Child. I usually go to Target, Kohl's, Meijer, etc as well
Deleted User 876

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm One of the easiest changes I've made is that I now buy the majority of my children's clothing from thrift stores. We always thrift first before we go to a retail store, unless we are looking for something special or unique. Then, we buy whatever we need or couldn't find at a regular store.

I still have a hard time with finding thrift store clothes for myself but I also rarely shop for myself these days.

I've been using this "system" for about a year now and I would guess I've saved about $1K on clothing for my kiddos.
We always bought our kids' clothes from thrift stores. When we were younger, we couldn't afford to pay $30 or more for each pair of jeans the kids needed, only to have holes in them a few weeks later. So we taught them young how to look for quality, and they were always well-dressed. We still thrift before we pay retail prices.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We donate clothes to our local thrift shop called Value Village where sometimes I shop there. I have bought items for $10 that had $150 original price tags still on them.
Deleted User 1461

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm One of the easiest changes I've made is that I now buy the majority of my children's clothing from thrift stores. We always thrift first before we go to a retail store, unless we are looking for something special or unique. Then, we buy whatever we need or couldn't find at a regular store.

I used to but my kids are grown-ups now
I shop at thrift shops for me though. I’ve had good luck!
Locked Previous topicNext topic