Utilities- LOL

mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I finally convinced my husband to just deal with having the AC temp set a little bit higher so that it doesn't have to run 24/7 and eat up our electric bill.

For three days now, the AC has been set at 74 instead of 72. And I'm hot! My fingers were swelling and I slept without a blanket. LOL But I won't say a WORD of complaint to my hubs because I'm sure he'll take any opportunity to put the AC back down.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Do you have a lot of windows? Putting UV filtering film on the windows will block the heat and help lower the temp in the house. I did this in our townhouse. Our kitchen patio doors and our bedroom windows upstairs got the afternoon sun. After I put the film up, I could open the curtains in the bedroom and not turn it into a sauna. The kitchen was cooler as well. You can get the film at home improvement stores. You just cut to fit and spritz the window with their water/soap solution and squeegie the excess water out and when the water dries, the plastic stays.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 pm Do you have a lot of windows? Putting UV filtering film on the windows will block the heat and help lower the temp in the house. I did this in our townhouse. Our kitchen patio doors and our bedroom windows upstairs got the afternoon sun. After I put the film up, I could open the curtains in the bedroom and not turn it into a sauna. The kitchen was cooler as well. You can get the film at home improvement stores. You just cut to fit and spritz the window with their water/soap solution and squeegie the excess water out and when the water dries, the plastic stays.
We have it on some windows. We never finished the whole house. They're the original, single pane windows. I want to change them!!
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

While we’re pretty frugal, AC is not something I would ever skimp on. I don’t care how much the bill is, I’m going to be comfortable. We keep ours on 66-68.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:21 pm Do you have a lot of windows? Putting UV filtering film on the windows will block the heat and help lower the temp in the house. I did this in our townhouse. Our kitchen patio doors and our bedroom windows upstairs got the afternoon sun. After I put the film up, I could open the curtains in the bedroom and not turn it into a sauna. The kitchen was cooler as well. You can get the film at home improvement stores. You just cut to fit and spritz the window with their water/soap solution and squeegie the excess water out and when the water dries, the plastic stays.
We have it on some windows. We never finished the whole house. They're the original, single pane windows. I want to change them!!
We got new windows this year. It makes a big difference.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Mine is set at 76 during the day and 72 at night - nice and chilly - because it’s so hard to sleep if it’s too warm.
It’s going to be a killer utility bill though.🙁
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm afraid to open my electric bill next month. We've had the AC on a lot. I finally did turn it up today to 73 cause I was freezing but I'm still cold lol. DH will sweat in this once he gets home from work though and want to turn it back down.

If it was just me, I'd suck it up. But the baby runs hot too it seems, so I can't let him sweat.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Wow - I just dialed mine down from 78 to 77! We use it mostly to keep the humidity down, I can deal with being a little warm. I used to work in an office that kept it around 68 and it was way too cold for me.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I just read an article with tips for super hot days. One was to keep the AC set at 78. That's too hot for me.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ours is set for 72-77. I will tell you that the best 2 things we ever did were to use budget billing with our utility companies.. Our electric bill is around $180 year round and our gas bill is around $115 year round. They take an average of your usage and put it across 12 months. The other best thing we did was buy a Nest thermostat. It has saved us hundreds in the 2 years we have had it.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Locked Previous topicNext topic