Who sells their crafts?

mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My MIL makes handmade jewelry as well as handmade paper crafts like cards, gift tags, etc.

I am not a jewelry person but I think if I saw these for sale, I'd be tempted. I've been looking into ways she could possibly sell her crafts but I'm brand new at this.

For a farmer's or artisans market, what would you consider a decent fee?

How/where do you sell your crafts?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

A lot depends on your area and the income level. Good single-day craft shows in our area charge between $75 and $200 for a 10'x10' space. You supply all your own set up, they do promotion and advertising. To be successful you should average sales about 10x the show fee ($750 - $2000)

If you think you want to help her try this, get to know some crafters. Offer to help one at a show for a day to learn the routine. Figure out how to take credit cards (we use Square or inTuit with an ipad) and observe the display system other similar vendors use.

You can also start by selling at a local gift shop on consignment (they typically get 35 - 50% or the retail price) or through an online site like Etsy. If your local library or book store has magazines, try doing some research in American Craft magazine.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I'd like to try making my own jewelry.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I use to refinish and re-purpose furniture.

In the 90's I did farmers markets, juried art events, and I leased floor space in a couple stores. I have not done those in since 2005. Its work. The last 13 years were largely online. The possibilities are endless now.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:01 am I'd like to try making my own jewelry.
Michael's Arts & Crafts store has corporate sponsored beading classes that use to be very good. I think the instruction is free you pay for the product. It could be a good way for you to get started. They post their projects pretty far out you could peek online. [I am not sure if this is only at A/B volume stores]
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The cost of the booth should be dependant on the traffic coming through. As another person said you should be able to make 10x what the booth costs. For a small event I've seen booths as low as $20. Around here the going price for midsized events seems to be 40-50/day.

I sell my stuff mainly at medieval/renfair shows and can do pretty well. As someone who sells her stuff to actually make money please, please, please ask your MIL to price her stuff to actually make a profit. There are so many people out there who price their stuff low because they just do it "for fun" and it hurts all craftpeople. Walmart's doing a good enough job all on its own devalueing handmade merchandise.
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I've tried in the past to sell my loom knitted stuff but I never had much luck. People always say they love my stuff and want to pay me for it but when I tell them the cost, I hear crickets. I ask for double the cost of materials which I think is reasonable but most people don't want to pay that so I just stick with making stuff for friends and family and giving it away as gifts.
Mac
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

Just some thoughts. I have considered doing this, but not sure I want or have the space for inventory at my house. Besides, when I attend these shows, everything I would consider selling usually already has at least 5+ booths with the same thing. Last time we went to a craft fair (2 building size), I noticed that it seemed like a lot of the same stuff, just different colors and prices. I would be more tempted to sell online.
Locked Previous topicNext topic