Finished Hillbilly Elegy

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And I think it described a huge chunk of the mc posters. Myself, I am just one generation removed.

Anybody else read this book? It’s nonfiction.
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I really want to read it, I just haven't ordered it yet. I was waiting for it to get cheaper on Amazon. ☺
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I read about 1/3 and the lost it. Is it worth getting to finish?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

caustib wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:16 pm I really want to read it, I just haven't ordered it yet. I was waiting for it to get cheaper on Amazon. ☺
I borrowed it from the library!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 am I read about 1/3 and the lost it. Is it worth getting to finish?
No, if you didn't like the first part, the rest is not that much different. It chronicles his difficulty transitioning into adulthood. He also has some policy recommendations.

I just think it highlights how breaking out of the cycle of social class and learned helplessness is much more than just "making smarter choices".
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 am
Lemons wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 am I read about 1/3 and the lost it. Is it worth getting to finish?
No, if you didn't like the first part, the rest is not that much different. It chronicles his difficulty transitioning into adulthood. He also has some policy recommendations.

I just think it highlights how breaking out of the cycle of social class and learned helplessness is much more than just "making smarter choices".
So, stuff I already know. It's amazing how some people think it's just so simple.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 am

So, stuff I already know. It's amazing how some people think it's just so simple.
Or feel these type of struggles are isolated to persons of color.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Not yet, I'd like to, I think. I don't typically enjoy nonfiction, so that's why I've been hesitant to read it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic