Anyone stayed married to a sociopath?

Love
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm sorry your in that situation. I'm a supporter of marriage and sticking it out through the rough times, but you're playing a whole other game when untreated mental health and addiction come into play. Those are valid reasons to leave. It also sounds like he may be emotionally abusing you. Do you feel like you have to walk on eggshells?
Anon

Unread post

Love wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 am I'm sorry your in that situation. I'm a supporter of marriage and sticking it out through the rough times, but you're playing a whole other game when untreated mental health and addiction come into play. Those are valid reasons to leave. It also sounds like he may be emotionally abusing you. Do you feel like you have to walk on eggshells?
Yes. Quite often.

I’ve got to get some money saved up for deposits and such and we’ve still got a while on this lease. When it’s up I’m gone.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Hugs, I know this decision doesn't come lightly.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

That's tough. I can't imagine what youre feeling
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I'm confused. Why do you want to divorce him? He was a sociopath when you married him and when you had a child or children. What is different now?

It doesn't sound like he is abusive. Is he a good dad? Does he generally treat you well?

If you are scrambling for a deposit on an apartment, it doesn't sound like you're in great financial circumstances. You'd be balancing your happiness vs your children growing up in a financially stable 2 parent household.
Anon op

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 pm I'm confused. Why do you want to divorce him? He was a sociopath when you married him and when you had a child or children. What is different now?

It doesn't sound like he is abusive. Is he a good dad? Does he generally treat you well?

If you are scrambling for a deposit on an apartment, it doesn't sound like you're in great financial circumstances. You'd be balancing your happiness vs your children growing up in a financially stable 2 parent household.

Did you read the op? Not being snarky but it’s apparent you didn’t.

We don’t have children together.

Do you know what a sociopath is? They are manipulative and are great at it. He also lies constantly and it’s to the point that if he were to tell me the sky is blue I’d look up to see because I just don’t believe him

He makes promises he has no intentions of actually keeping. Like seeking help for his drug and alcohol abuse. Or seeing a therapist to work on our marriage.

No I’m not financially ready to move because he hasn’t worked in almost 8 months and my paycheck doesn’t pay all of our bills.

Please, google sociopath and then come back here. I don’t mind advice at all but you really have to know what you’re giving advice on before you actually give the advice. Otherwise it’s not helpful at all.

And no he’s not physically abusive but how would you take it when your spouse says things like “go die” when he’s mad at you? Or when you confront him with evidence of drug use he starts screaming and tells you he’s leaving and actually packs a bag and leaves for 24 hours while telling you you’re on your own to pay the bills. Or when you ask him to do things like wash the dishes and instead he starts throwing dishes and yelling and screaming and calls you “a manipulative bitch”
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I was polite and I did read it.

You didn't say any of that. You just said he was a sociopath, which means that he lies, manipulates, and is a narcissist who doesn't care about other people's feelings. A lot of CEOs are sociopaths.

Now you are describing emotional and verbal abuse, which can be more hurtful than physical abuse. Also, it creates a toxic environment for the children. You alluded to alcohol abuse, but didn't say that he was currently drinking and never mentioned drug abuse. You also didn't mention that he wasn't working. Abuse and addiction are big reasons to leave. It doesn't sound like you are getting any benefit out of the marriage.
Anon op wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am
Verrine wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 pm I'm confused. Why do you want to divorce him? He was a sociopath when you married him and when you had a child or children. What is different now?

Do you know what a sociopath is? They are manipulative and are great at it. He also lies constantly and it’s to the point that if he were to tell me the sky is blue I’d look up to see because I just don’t believe him

He makes promises he has no intentions of actually keeping. Like seeking help for his drug and alcohol abuse. Or seeing a therapist to work on our marriage.

No I’m not financially ready to move because he hasn’t worked in almost 8 months and my paycheck doesn’t pay all of our bills.

Please, google sociopath and then come back here. I don’t mind advice at all but you really have to know what you’re giving advice on before you actually give the advice. Otherwise it’s not helpful at all.

And no he’s not physically abusive but how would you take it when your spouse says things like “go die” when he’s mad at you? Or when you confront him with evidence of drug use he starts screaming and tells you he’s leaving and actually packs a bag and leaves for 24 hours while telling you you’re on your own to pay the bills. Or when you ask him to do things like wash the dishes and instead he starts throwing dishes and yelling and screaming and calls you “a manipulative bitch”
Anon here

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:39 am I was polite and I did read it.

You didn't say any of that. You just said he was a sociopath, which means that he lies, manipulates, and is a narcissist who doesn't care about other people's feelings. A lot of CEOs are sociopaths.

Now you are describing emotional and verbal abuse, which can be more hurtful than physical abuse. Also, it creates a toxic environment for the children. You alluded to alcohol abuse, but didn't say that he was currently drinking and never mentioned drug abuse. You also didn't mention that he wasn't working. Abuse and addiction are big reasons to leave. It doesn't sound like you are getting any benefit out of the marriage.
Anon op wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am

You originally mentioned children, I mentioned in the op he and I do not have children together.

No one deserves to live with someone who lies and manipulated them. Even if there is no other abuse that would be considered abuse.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:56 pm
cellomom26 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm I would definitely leave ASAP.

My parents are both narcissists. They have zero empathy, are great manipulators, and wanted complete control of me as an adult. I cut all contact with them 10 years ago and finally have peace.

Run fast, do not walk. Do not hesitate.

Best wishes to you. :-)
Hey nice to see you here!
Thank you so much! It's nice to see you too! :D
So glad we can continue to chat after CM closed down.
Locked Previous topicNext topic