Woman says she was rejected as a job candidate for her tattoos. Fair enough, or totally unfair?

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The job was to be a TJ Maxx associate working with the store customers…

B1126080-730B-4B6A-AB59-EC80D5B36D6C.jpeg

A tattooed content creator sparked a debate about hiring biases after being rejected by T.J. Maxx.

Experts say tattoos can impact hiring decisions, especially in customer-facing roles.

But overall, personality and cultural fit are more important.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wom ... 23496.html
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Maybe she didn’t get hired over her tattoos, but it’s really the employer’s prerogative. They can decide if there’s a particular look that they don’t want as representative of their business.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

To get a younger perspective, I showed this woman to my Gen Z son and said she applied to TJ Max. I'd seen her all over social media. He said, and I quote: "good luck with that." So it's not just me that thinks she's going to have a hard outlook getting past employers. Not to mention the fact she's got a horned demon tattooed on her neck. We wouldn't hire her for front desk at our company because our clients wouldn't like her or us. They're older, mostly Boomer age. Might not be fair, but it is realistic. We'd lose business. But if she was pleasant we might use her in behind the scenes work. I get the feeling she isn't pleasant but honestly Idk.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Legally that wouldn't be fair but as reported in the article, it's really hard to say tattoos or attitude is what prevented her from getting the job.

Unfortunately, adverse hiring practices are experienced all the time by people with tattoos, physical deformities, or even those who are over weight. It's really tough to prove.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 2

Unread post

She made the decision to look like this and imo they can make the decision to not want an employee who looks like this. A disability, scars, etc would be another matter.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

She doesn't look very different than a few police officers I've seen.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 pm She doesn't look very different than a few police officers I've seen.
Have you seen police officers with horn implants in their forehead?
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

I'm not opposed to tattoos and piercings. Both my husband and our two daughter's have tattoos and ODD's boyfriend is heavily tattooed.

The person in the photo is stunningly beautiful and has amazing facial bone structure.

Unfortunately, TJMaxx is considered a more family oriented retail chain and there are dress code conditions that include tats, piercings, etc.

It's not really fair but there it is.
just an old coot 😉🌵
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 pm She doesn't look very different than a few police officers I've seen.
Oh yes there are tons of police officers running around with horns sticking out of their head. Come on now lol.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fair enough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic