When someone passes away

Anonymous 1

Unread post

do you know how long it takes to get the person's house and belongings transferred into their adult children's names? Does it differ from state to state? What if the adult child has not contacted anyone to try to get it in their name? Is there a time frame they need to do it by?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You're probably going to have to talk to an estate lawyer or something. I don't know much about it but I do know that laws regarding this thing can differ from state to state, and I think it can make a difference if there was a will or not.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There’s a lot of factors involved, including the state, their will, if they had debt, etc. It has to go through probate, which can take anywhere from a couple of months to years depending on these factors. While it goes through probate, the inheritor does have some accesses to the house though in most cases. They can’t sell it or make major changes yet, but they can inhabit it.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Probate can take up to several years depending on assets and debt of the deceased.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:04 pm do you know how long it takes to get the person's house and belongings transferred into their adult children's names? Does it differ from state to state? What if the adult child has not contacted anyone to try to get it in their name? Is there a time frame they need to do it by?
It can vary from state to state and different countries also have their own rules on this.

I'm assuming there wasn't a notarized will in place?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I'd ask a lawyer. We never opened probate for my ex; he had more debts than assets. Our children didn't get his life insurance until they became of age. There's still some retirement account I can't do anything with, our children would have to open probate I think and I don't think there's enough in it to worry about it. In the case of my grandmother, we sold her house, assets, and divided up the money. But that was something she left in her will and I don't remember how long it took to do everything. It was several months as I recall. I know someone who has struggling for years to fix everything because his mother didn't sign her will. She didn't have a lot of assets either but there are some he's trying to figure out. So it really depends on the circumstances.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t know about property but I’m in Canada and still waiting for probate, personal taxes and estate taxes. I’m thinking we will surpass a year before everything is done.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t know about property but I’m in Canada and still waiting for probate, personal taxes and estate taxes. I’m thinking we will surpass a year before everything is done.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Was there a will?
Was anything in a trust?
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I’m in PA. We had a relative pass at the very end of July. Mom got her house, car and a trust fund. My sisters and I were left straight $$. Our checks were released in October. My moms portion took until March of the following year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic