Where to get a prom dress?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My daughter is very into fashion and extremely picky about her clothes. She wants a 90s goth prom gown, sheath or slip style, beaded, in burgundy. She doesn't want to order one online because she says they always fit weird. IDK what she means by always, we've never ordered her a prom dress online. I did tell her we can just get it tailored. She wants to go thrifting for a dress but we've been through this before and she never finds what she wants in the thrift store.

I guess I'm frustrated because she turns her nose up at online shopping unless it's some kind of specialty store where the dresses are $500 and take weeks and months to ship.

Prom is in 16 days. She just got invited last minute. Typical stores in the mall will not cut it for her. I always dreamed of taking my daughter shopping for special occasions but she makes it so unenjoyable, I don't even want to go anymore.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Welp, nevermind. She wants to wear a short dress. They call them club dresses. I don't understand how club dresses became the it dress for PROM. Homecoming, maybe, but PROM? I told her, most people don't get a lot of opportunities to wear a ball gown, so make the most of it and wear something amazing. She doesn't want to. I said ok.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Give her what you’re willing to spend and let her figure it out. I’m only helpful if they’re open to it, if they’re not they can figure it out themselves.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Give her a budget and a time limit on stores. Tell her she can do the research of where she wants to look and you will take her for that time, like 12-5pm or whatever. If she can’t find something in that time that is within your budget, she’ll have to find something online. Just tell her that you understand that she wants to find something in person but this is how much time you have to make that happen. Then just go and make the best of it, don’t think of what she isn’t finding, just go enjoy your time with her and if she doesn’t find something, all well, she can look online. Don’t think of it as a waste.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:19 pm Welp, nevermind. She wants to wear a short dress. They call them club dresses. I don't understand how club dresses became the it dress for PROM. Homecoming, maybe, but PROM? I told her, most people don't get a lot of opportunities to wear a ball gown, so make the most of it and wear something amazing. She doesn't want to. I said ok.
Lots of girls now wear short dresses to prom.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Keep thrifting! Go to the Goodwill in the best part of town. Go back next week if they don't have it this week. The thrift store gods are generous but they demand a sacrifice, ie, some leg work. Good luck!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

It won’t help you this year but when my daughter was in high school, she shopped thrift stores all year and bought a formal dress whenever she saw one that she loved. For an event, she’d pick out from her rack one that she wanted to wear and share the others with friends. Once she was sure she’d never wear the dress, she’d donate. If your daughter loves to thrift, encourage her to shop all year for the perfect dress.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would be of no help in this department. I didn't even shop for my own prom dress. At the time my older sister had a friend who was getting rid of all of hers so I got one of hers for really cheap.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 pm Keep thrifting! Go to the Goodwill in the best part of town. Go back next week if they don't have it this week. The thrift store gods are generous but they demand a sacrifice, ie, some leg work. Good luck!
I get 80% of our clothes from thrift stores and definitely find good things, but it is hard this time of year when every kid has prom, so anything good is gone almost immediately. January is always the time when I find the next formal wear, because everyone’s cleaned out their closet after the holidays and donated, but it isn’t wedding season, prom, etc yet.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I can't help as I know nothing about the type of goth dresses she wants. My DD's prom was last weekend and she wore a Cinderella color blue long dress we got at Macy's for $150. Not a single girl wore a short dress to her prom she said. But of course your DD is going for a different style. Good luck. I hope you find something. It's cutting it close!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic