Who is responsible

Anonymous 1

Unread post

You go to a grocery store where they bag your groceries and put them in the cart for you and something doesn't get put in your cart who is responsible?
I ask because I went to kroger yesterday and bought some groceries and a 65 qt plastic container. I was already having a terrible day and I was in a hurry. I paid for my groceries while the bagger bagged them and put them back in the cart. When I went to leave the store all 4 wheels locked up like it went past the boundary line and I had to wait for an employee to come make my cart move again.
After making the 20 minute drive home I realized they never put my container in the cart. I had my husband call them and they said I had to go back last night. Nope not happening it was late and I was tired and wasn't about to spend the next hour going to get this container that they said they may or may not have.
So I went by today since I was already in the area. I took my receipt and told them they didn't put it in my cart and the guy at the customer service desk says "well you don't have it because you left it here next time make sure you take all of your stuff because I'm not dealing with this again. They had to stop what they were doing and bring it to me because you weren't responsible enough to take it with you."
I was shocked to say the least. It wasn't a small item so I was probably still dealing with the cart wheels locking up on me when they realized it was left behind why not just bring it to me? And what's with the attitude? I'm usually really good about double checking to make sure nothing gets left behind I was just having a really bad day. But you'd think between the cashier and bagger someone would have seen this big plastic container sitting there before they unlocked the wheels to my cart.
What do you think? Was it all my fault and a terrible person for expecting them to put it in the cart with everything else?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You need a nap, you seem like you're still having a terrible day.

This is a case of shared responsibility. Yes, they should have put it in your cart so that was their mistake as it was their responsibility at that point. However, you also had an responsibility when you were unloading the cart into your vehicle. As you stated, it wasn't a small item so it would have been difficult to miss, seeing as both the bagger AND you both equally missed the item at different points, the responsibility is definitely shared. You BOTH fucked up.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would say that it’s a shared responsibility and it was an accident, whose fault doesn’t really matter. They could have noticed, you also could have noticed. You were having a bad day so you didn’t, you don’t know what kind of day they were having. Mistakes happen, I would be annoyed at the situation that I had to go back again, but wouldn’t be annoyed at the bagger. That said, the customer service employees response wasn’t very professional at all.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

The customer service guy was very rude. Fill out the survey on the receipt telling them the bad experience you had over all.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It is both persons responsibility to make sure everything is packed. However that being said the response of the customer service rep was unacceptable. But i need to ask how you approached/talked to him when you came in to ask about the bin that was left.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:11 am I would say that it’s a shared responsibility and it was an accident, whose fault doesn’t really matter. They could have noticed, you also could have noticed. You were having a bad day so you didn’t, you don’t know what kind of day they were having. Mistakes happen, I would be annoyed at the situation that I had to go back again, but wouldn’t be annoyed at the bagger. That said, the customer service employees response wasn’t very professional at all.
The customer service representative is exactly who I'm annoyed at. I could have realized it and if I wasn't having such a terrible day I would have but stuff happens. It's not like I do this every time I go shopping and they're always holding stuff for me or like I demanded them to deliver it because while I was closer I still had to go out of my way to pick it up. But the attitude I got when I did was uncalled for.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 am It is both persons responsibility to make sure everything is packed. However that being said the response of the customer service rep was unacceptable. But i need to ask how you approached/talked to him when you came in to ask about the bin that was left.
I walked up and quietly waited in line then showed him the item on my receipt and told him when I got home I realized I didn't have the item so I was hoping they still had it for me. I wasn't rude and didn't accuse anyone that would be pointless and take more time. I just wanted to grab my item and leave.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

This happens at grocery stores all the time. Most grocery stores have a procedure where they place left items in a specific area and fill out a paper saying what approximate day/time it was purchased. You just show your receipt and sign that you have picked it up. IDK why the customer service guy was so rude, it's really not that big of a deal. I've worked in grocery stores before.

I always try to keep an eye on my groceries so that everything gets packed correctly because it is a PITA to go back to the store and pick it up. But it literally being their job means it is literally their responsibility. They are being paid to make sure customers get taken care of and customers pay to make sure they get taken care of.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 am
highlandmum wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 am It is both persons responsibility to make sure everything is packed. However that being said the response of the customer service rep was unacceptable. But i need to ask how you approached/talked to him when you came in to ask about the bin that was left.
I walked up and quietly waited in line then showed him the item on my receipt and told him when I got home I realized I didn't have the item so I was hoping they still had it for me. I wasn't rude and didn't accuse anyone that would be pointless and take more time. I just wanted to grab my item and leave.
Just had to ask as I am sure you have been witness to a person losing their mind on some customer service rep.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah, this happens but the guy you talked to was a total ass.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic