Pet insurance

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Does anyone have any experience with it? Any good companies or companies to avoid? The dog is 1 year old.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. I had my son’s dog. He is in the military, separating and couldn’t keep Charlie. I got insurance but it doesn’t pay for much. This was between 5 to 7 years ago if that helps.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No I just pay as I go. And if something really bad happened I do have a few thousand to just pay for an emergency. And anything over a few thousand I would put the dog down.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I looked into it but for a healthy pet it's not worth it. The deductible is more than her yearly vet visit. And if something drastic happens I have the money to pay for it. To me it seems a waste on the off chance they "might" cover an emergency.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:47 pm No I just pay as I go. And if something really bad happened I do have a few thousand to just pay for an emergency. And anything over a few thousand I would put the dog down.
Sadly we've had to make the choice to put a dog down because we couldn't afford treatment BUT the vet also didn't have much hope for a positive outcome. This dog is my daughters baby and she would never forgive me for making that decision. Plus he had a very rough start at life and sometimes yelps and limps really bad and I want to check into pet insurance before it's a preexisting condition.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We have pet insurance for our 2 dogs. However, our insurance is directly tied to our vet’s clinic practice.

Before we moved, our last vet recommended Trupanion. She had all 4 of her dogs on it ( varying ages and medical conditions).
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:53 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:47 pm No I just pay as I go. And if something really bad happened I do have a few thousand to just pay for an emergency. And anything over a few thousand I would put the dog down.
Sadly we've had to make the choice to put a dog down because we couldn't afford treatment BUT the vet also didn't have much hope for a positive outcome. This dog is my daughters baby and she would never forgive me for making that decision. Plus he had a very rough start at life and sometimes yelps and limps really bad and I want to check into pet insurance before it's a preexisting condition.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

What kind of dog is it? And did you bring him to the vet yet just for a well check when you got it? I don't know what the limping is but it will need xrays for sure. And as far as your DD not forgiving if something drastic happened she eventually would. Worst part of owning a pet is the day you lose it. We all go through it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:10 pm
What kind of dog is it? And did you bring him to the vet yet just for a well check when you got it? I don't know what the limping is but it will need xrays for sure. And as far as your DD not forgiving if something drastic happened she eventually would. Worst part of owning a pet is the day you lose it. We all go through it.
He's had a basic checkup at the shot clinic as well as when he was neutered but I still need to take him in to establish him with a vet and get the limping checked out.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I looked into so many, and for me, they weren't worth it.
The total they would pay per calendar year and/or condition was such that I'd almost be better off just putting the premium aside every month. The more expensive ones offered more coverage but were very pricey. For me the best choice ended up being paying out of pocket, but a lot of people swear by the same companies I looked into.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just did a quote a couple months ago with Valley Fever being so bad for canines this year. For the 4 dogs(Kneesaa 14, Barkley 9, Sheera almost 4, and Roxy 2) it’s $120 and the coverage seemed pretty comparable with human coverage on an 80/20 split. I don’t remember which company it was though. I didn’t go with it though because I use the humane society vet that does low cost vet care, from what I understood, I’d be paying the same out of pocket with or without insurance except with insurance I’d have the premium to pay. The low cost program is only available for uninsured pets.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic