Pet insurance

mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We do not have pet insurance, but we started to look into it about a month ago. We’ve slacked off, but I think the one we were thinking about going with was Pets Best.

https://www.usnews.com/insurance/pet-in ... /pets-best
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

No…

In 40 years of having multiple dogs, I’ve never had a vet bill of more than $500, and there’s only been about four times that kind of a thing has happened.

I don’t see the point of paying double that every year just in case.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Mine is also tied to my vet clinic. I use care club. It's been a wonderful thing.

cgd5112 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:09 pm We have pet insurance for our 2 dogs. However, our insurance is directly tied to our vet’s clinic practice.

Before we moved, our last vet recommended Trupanion. She had all 4 of her dogs on it ( varying ages and medical conditions).
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:53 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:47 pm No I just pay as I go. And if something really bad happened I do have a few thousand to just pay for an emergency. And anything over a few thousand I would put the dog down.
Sadly we've had to make the choice to put a dog down because we couldn't afford treatment BUT the vet also didn't have much hope for a positive outcome. This dog is my daughters baby and she would never forgive me for making that decision. Plus he had a very rough start at life and sometimes yelps and limps really bad and I want to check into pet insurance before it's a preexisting condition.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:36 pm No…

In 40 years of having multiple dogs, I’ve never had a vet bill of more than $500, and there’s only been about four times that kind of a thing has happened.

I don’t see the point of paying double that every year just in case.
Lucky you I've had $800 bills a few times and a couple of times there were multiple visits with high bills in a row. And I had a dog they thought was going to require $4000 surgeries multiple times throughout his life but thankfully after the xray they discovered he was just being dramatic.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've never done pet insurance. I do have Care Credit. It's a credit card specifically for medical expenses and it can be used for veterinary expenses (I've also used it for vision and dental expenses). You have to check to see if your provider accepts Care Credit. What it does is any single payment over I believe $200, you get 6 - 18 months to pay it off without accruing any interest. The period of time varies depending on what you are paying for but it has helped me greatly when I've had a $1K vet bill and didn't have that much to hand over all at once. I could make payments over time and in the end still not pay more than the original bill.

For anyone who's worried about large vet expenses I encourage looking into Care Credit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic