"Protestantism in the US south tends to have a strong anti-intellectual background"

Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The title is a quote from a news article.

In your experience, is that claim correct?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I read the first word as Prostitution and I was like umm..
Anonymous 1

Unread post

It's true in my experience.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

"Protestantism" is too broad but I do see it in protestant evangelical churches. While evangelical churches are most prevalent in the south, I see the same anti-intellectualism in evangelical churches in the northern states.
SlimShady
Countess
Countess

Unread post

No…

I think there’s a big push to say “I’m smart and they’re all stupid” when it comes to political disagreements in this country, coming from both sides…
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SlimShady wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 am No…

I think there’s a big push to say “I’m smart and they’re all stupid” when it comes to political disagreements in this country, coming from both sides…
In this case, the person quoted was a conservative living in the US south, talking about the churches she had attended which taught non-scientific positions on evolution and other subjects.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm a Christian living in the burbs of Atlanta. All of the Christians that I know are college educated people. It is absolutely ridiculous for this woman to make such sweeping generalizations. My friends are teachers, engineers, physicians, nurses, etc..I cannot give any credence to an opinion piece like this due to the generalizations made.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

To a certain extent I agree but it seems as disinformation increases opinions, speculations and assumptions are treated more as facts. In addition, where there was a period of increase in people becoming open minded, it seems the current trend is towards the opposite direction.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:03 am

In this case, the person quoted was a conservative living in the US south, talking about the churches she had attended which taught non-scientific positions on evolution and other subjects.
I mean evolution is just a theory anyways. I teach my children that creation is the truth not evolution BUT they are also quite well educated on the theory of evolution and comparing and contrasting the two is a favorite pastime of my oldest. They didn't learn about evolution in church though it came from home. And the theory of evolution is always changing so what is considered the truth today may not be the truth tomorrow.
It's not the church's job to teach scientific viewpoints on things it's there to teach the religious viewpoints.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:04 am
Aletheia wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:03 am

I mean evolution is just a theory anyways. I teach my children that creation is the truth not evolution BUT they are also quite well educated on the theory of evolution and comparing and contrasting the two is a favorite pastime of my oldest. They didn't learn about evolution in church though it came from home. And the theory of evolution is always changing so what is considered the truth today may not be the truth tomorrow.
It's not the church's job to teach scientific viewpoints on things it's there to teach the religious viewpoints.
A scientific theory is a substantiated explanation of facts. I really don’t know why people, who choose to believe in creationism, seem to think that both could not co-exist. For all you know, Adam and Eve could have been the first Neanderthals or the first Homo Sapiens. Species evolve to adapt to their environments if they don’t they risk extinction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic