Why are people still stupid enough to wash chicken?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't understand how people still do this. It's so nasty. Running chicken under running water spreads germs. I have seen so many videos all over the internet of recipes where people start cooking their chicken by rinsing it off in the sink 🤢
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's a big debate! LOL I was just looking at some Twitter fighting ensuing over it. Chicken is slimy AF and I dislike it, so sometimes I might rinse it under cold water. It's always in an empty sink with any dishes in the drainer put away and the sink is immediately cleaned
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:50 pm That's a big debate! LOL I was just looking at some Twitter fighting ensuing over it. Chicken is slimy AF and I dislike it, so sometimes I might rinse it under cold water. It's always in an empty sink with any dishes in the drainer put away and the sink is immediately cleaned
It's not a debate, it's a fact. Even the USDA and any food safety class says not to do it 🤷‍♀️. The bacteria is spread to more than your sink when you wash it.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

But it does seem like people are washing their chicken because they think it is somehow more sanitary which is just not true. And have you seen the people who use actual soap?

Now, unless you are making sticky rice...wash your rice! I never really liked rice until I started washing it.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Because it used to be taught…

Younger people don’t because it’s not taught anymore…
Anonymous 1

Unread post

newyearnewring wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

But it does seem like people are washing their chicken because they think it is somehow more sanitary which is just not true. And have you seen the people who use actual soap?

Now, unless you are making sticky rice...wash your rice! I never really liked rice until I started washing it.
Brining is different than running it under water. Yes I have seen people use soap 🤢
Anonymous 1

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:59 pm Because it used to be taught…

Younger people don’t because it’s not taught anymore…
It used to be taught that blood is blue in the body and that babies can't feel pain, that doesn't mean we should still believe just because it was taught 🙄
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:53 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:50 pm That's a big debate! LOL I was just looking at some Twitter fighting ensuing over it. Chicken is slimy AF and I dislike it, so sometimes I might rinse it under cold water. It's always in an empty sink with any dishes in the drainer put away and the sink is immediately cleaned
It's not a debate, it's a fact. Even the USDA and any food safety class says not to do it 🤷‍♀️. The bacteria is spread to more than your sink when you wash it.
It is a debate, because there are some people that swear by washing meat before cooking. Regardless of what the USDA says. The food pyramid is completely upside down from what we should be eating for optimal health, so I kind of take what these government agencies say with a grain of salt.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It’s a cultural thing. I know my friend looks at you weird when you tell her you don’t wash the chicken. She was taught to wash and blanch the chicken
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:02 pm
newyearnewring wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:56 pm Yeah, I go back and forth, too. Depending on the recipe, I do feel like washed chicken, or chicken bathed in a salt bath, has a better texture. For sure, when I cook pork, it always turns out too dry unless I do a quick brine.

Brining is different than running it under water. Yes I have seen people use soap 🤢
I realize that but people often brine in their sink, bath tub, etc. Saltwater does not kill salmonella or any other germs. Personally, I use a giant mixing bowl any time I brine because I can't bring myself to soak any raw meat in my sink, but I do dump the mixing bowl out in the sink afterwards and I always feel compelled to sanitize my sink afterwards.
Locked Previous topicNext topic