Kenny G is asking court to stop making him pay $40,000 a month in alimony

Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 am
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:48 pm If he can no longer afford that amount, an adjustment is fair. Regardless, of whether the ex wife is capable of working or is working and still receives alimony from him, is not an issue in my opinion. When they married and later divorced, this was the mutual understanding and agreement.
No one really agrees with alimony it's court ordered he can't refuse to pay without getting help in contempt.
Just like child support, an agreement about alimony can be made outside of court. Alimony can also be ordered temporarily/in an emergency, before the divorce is settled. I know people who have paid temporary/emergency alimony for 10 years because they haven't filed for/settled their divorce and they understand that they will have to continue paying it for 10 more years after the divorce is finalized.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

I think you guys are missing the point of why alimony exists…

When a woman (or a man) devotes their entire lives to supporting a spouse and running their home, it is cruel to then divorce and expect them to simply get a job and pay for themselves when they have lost an entire working lifetime already and without social security benefits they will not have the ability to keep themselves out of poverty when their retirement years approach.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 am When you get married, you know you’re combining assets. It is no secret that you’re likely to pay alimony and/or child support when you divorce. Still, those things or understandings as a possibility do not deter many from getting married. So, it is an agreement that you are taking the chance of paying alimony and /or child support if you enter into marriage with another person and then divorce. The court sets the amounts based on whatever algorithm it uses.

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 am
cgd5112 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:48 pm If he can no longer afford that amount, an adjustment is fair. Regardless, of whether the ex wife is capable of working or is working and still receives alimony from him, is not an issue in my opinion. When they married and later divorced, this was the mutual understanding and agreement.
No one really agrees with alimony it's court ordered he can't refuse to pay without getting help in contempt.
Actually a lot of the time filing for alimony or child support is separate from the divorce or custody agreement itself. When I filed for custody of my oldest, child support was a whole separate form, i didn't file for it because i knew i would never get it since he has never paid for his son. During my current custody case with my ex friend and her kids that i took in i have to file for child support separately, which I will be doing. When my brother and my cousin got their divorces alimony was a separate form. They both could have gotten alimony but it's was not worth the continued attachment to their exes. All 4 cases in different states. A lot of people don't even combine assets. My brother and his ex wife didn't share a bank account, their cars weren't in each other's names. They had a lot of things separate. It made it much easier in court as well because 90% was already separated.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:43 am I think you guys are missing the point of why alimony exists…

When a woman (or a man) devotes their entire lives to supporting a spouse and running their home, it is cruel to then divorce and expect them to simply get a job and pay for themselves when they have lost an entire working lifetime already and without social security benefits they will not have the ability to keep themselves out of poverty when their retirement years approach.
Not everyone who gets alimony is a stay at home partner who lost years of work life. Most now a days are working. My besties ex was in the military and getting a heafty amount of alimony (like 60% of his check)
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:50 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:43 am I think you guys are missing the point of why alimony exists…

Not everyone who gets alimony is a stay at home partner who lost years of work life. Most now a days are working. My besties ex was in the military and getting a heafty amount of alimony (like 60% of his check)
Military spouses get plenty of alimony because their life isn’t all of their own choices. They have to uproot all the time and lose all of what they could have built in each place their spouse is stationed.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:53 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:50 am

Military spouses get plenty of alimony because their life isn’t all of their own choices. They have to uproot all the time and lose all of what they could have built in each place their spouse is stationed.
I think you misunderstood.... his ex wife was in the military and HE was paying her a heafty amount of alimony. My friend was the one who was uprooting and not being able to build in places but still was paying. So again not everyone who is getting alimony was a stay at home partner most are actually capable of taking care of themselves.
Locked Previous topicNext topic