Religious man denied entry to basketball game because of his dagger

Anonymous 1

Unread post

A Sikh man is speaking out after he said he was denied entry to a Sacramento Kings game at Golden 1 Center for wearing his kirpan (ceremonial dagger), a religious item.

Singh said that after removing all the items from his pockets, the security guard checked him with a metal-detecting wand. When he hovered over the kirpan, which was worn under his shirt, Singh explained that he was a baptized Sikh and was wearing it as a part of his religion.

Baptized Sikhs are required to carry or maintain the five articles of the Sikh faith: kesh (unshorn hair), kara (steel bracelet), kanga (small wooden comb), kachera (undershorts) and a kirpan.

“You can’t just tell a Sikh to take off his kirpan. It’s not just some piece of fashion you take off. It’s a part of who I am,” he explained.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-amer ... MWkAAAA%3D
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That's one big dagger. Sorry you won't take it off I guess you'll be watching on TV. There's so many places that wouldn't be allowed.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

No weapons at games and that's not religious discrimination just because he decided it is.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If they can figure it out for public schools, they can figure it out for games. Sikh is a benign religion, if they can show that they are practicing Sikh and the weapon is secured so that it can’t be drawn, I don’t see why they can’t bring it in. I’m
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 pm If they can figure it out for public schools, they can figure it out for games. Sikh is a benign religion, if they can show that they are practicing Sikh and the weapon is secured so that it can’t be drawn, I don’t see why they can’t bring it in. I’m
Can you share where you see this is allowed in public school? I can find that 1 university allows it but only if the blade is under 3 inches. How are you proposing they make it so it can't be drawn?
We don't know the size of this thing but apparently he didn't even try to find a way to make it work before he went.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:04 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:13 pm If they can figure it out for public schools, they can figure it out for games. Sikh is a benign religion, if they can show that they are practicing Sikh and the weapon is secured so that it can’t be drawn, I don’t see why they can’t bring it in. I’m
Can you share where you see this is allowed in public school? I can find that 1 university allows it but only if the blade is under 3 inches. How are you proposing they make it so it can't be drawn?
We don't know the size of this thing but apparently he didn't even try to find a way to make it work before he went.
It is legal in multiple states and has been taken to court and won in the ninth circuit, NY, and Ohio. As long as it is worn under the clothing, is not taken out, and is secured to the holster so that it can not be taken out, it is allowed. They are also allowed in the white house.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:04 pm
In 1994, the Ninth Circuit held that Sikh students in public school have a right to wear the kirpan.[32] State courts in New York and Ohio have ruled in favor of Sikhs who faced the rare situation of prosecution under anti-weapons statutes for wearing kirpans, "because of the kirpan's religious nature and Sikhs' benign intent in wearing them."[33] In New York City, a compromise was reached with the Board of Education whereby the wearing of the knives was allowed so long as they were secured within the sheaths with adhesives and made impossible to draw. The tightening of air travel security in the twenty-first century has caused problems for Sikhs carrying kirpans at airports and other checkpoints.[34] As of 2016, the TSA explicitly prohibits the carrying of "religious knives and swords" on one's person or in cabin baggage and requires that they be packed in checked baggage.[35]

In 2008, American Sikh leaders chose not to attend an interfaith meeting with Pope Benedict XVI at the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington, D.C., because the United States Secret Service would have required them to leave behind the kirpan.[36] The secretary general of the Sikh Council stated: "We have to respect the sanctity of the kirpan, especially in such interreligious gatherings. We cannot undermine the rights and freedoms of religion in the name of security."[36] A spokesman for the Secret Service stated: "We understand the kirpan is a sanctified religious object. But by definition, it's still a weapon. We apply our security policy consistently and fairly."[36]
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yeah, it is a weapon. We’ve learned from experience that people can get violent in the name of religion. Any religion. It’s another choice people make which means they shouldn’t be allowed to carry weapons where they are banned.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What a challenging situation

Could it actually be removed from its sheath? Because aren’t they usually just symbolic, not actual weapons?

But the flip side, if one or more people were stabbed because someone erred on the side of religious freedom, people would be just as outraged.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Probably the security guard wasn't knowledgeable. I never heard of this myself. So he sees a dagger, and is doing as he's instructed. For all he knows this man is lying about it being a religious article. If I were the Sihk, I would call the venue, explain the issue, and ask if next time it can be peace-tied, which is what they do for Ren-fairs. Basically one uses a zip tie or duct tape, so the sword or dagger can't be drawn out. There are plastic ones on Etsy which might solve the problem for the gentleman. Again Idk the religion though. The last concert I went to I had to surrender my Swiss army knife I'd forgotten to remove off my keychain. It was just annoying because I never got it back.
Locked Previous topicNext topic