Wedding question, Is this a good idea?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I am at the very beginning of planning my wedding, we just got engaged in Oct 2022, and plan on getting married in 2025

We were talking about bridesmaids and groomsmen etc. How many, who, etc.

I am a mom of 3 teens. He does not have children of his own. But was thinking of making his brother his best man and his best friend a groomsman.

I would like my 2 girls who will be 19 and 15 at the time of the wedding to be my MOH and bridesmaid and my son who will be 18 to walk me down the aisle instead of my dad.

I love my dad, but I feel he did his part with my first wedding and I would really like my son to have a part in the wedding and to me this seems perfect.

My fiancé likes this idea, and my dad thinks it's great, he said he was getting old, He already did it once and doesn't want to wear a tux anyway and is happy that my son can take that spot.

Some close family I have talked to on the other hand think it's rather odd and I should just have my fiancé make him a groomsman or something, They feel that I am taking this from my dad, and say that even though he says he is okay with it, They are sure he feels hurt.

I am trying to get unbiased opinions on this idea. What do you think about my 18 year old son walking me down the aisle?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Do whatever makes you happy.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

It’s your wedding… but the symbolism wouldn’t make sense.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Whatever you want its your wedding and your dad is ok with it. My brother walked my niece down the aisle and they aren't even related (she's my dhs sisters kid).
Anonymous 1

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:19 pm It’s your wedding… but the symbolism wouldn’t make sense.

The symbolism of a dad walking a dad "Giving away" his daughter.

Dad already did that in 2005.

It's has been just me and the kids for almost 10 years.

So I see it as Son "Give me away" because my son has always said no matter what he would take care of me.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:19 pm It’s your wedding… but the symbolism wouldn’t make sense.

So I see it as Son "Give me away" because my son has always said no matter what he would take care of me.
I agree that the symbolism of a father "giving away" a grown women with three children is not the point here. Sounds like you just want all of your children to have a role in the ceremony. It is a lovely way to incorporate them.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:25 pm

Yes… but it’s “giving her away” to start a new family.
I’m assuming you’re not starting a new family without your son in the immediate family…

It doesn’t matter in reality though, do whatever you want…
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It is your wedding, who cares what others think. All that matters is that you, and your husband are happy with it.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I wouldn't have anyone give me away at this point in life. I don't know how old you are but I have older teens and young 20s and I'm 47. I would feel silly. Of course this is your wedding and do what makes you the happiest!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I think it's great that your new soon to be hubby wants your son involved in that way and that you and you son want it that way. It shows what kind of relationship your son has with his step dad. f**k everyone else who thinks different
Locked Previous topicNext topic