I'm getting fat again

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Last year, I dieted hard and managed to lose fifteen pounds.
The past six months, I relaxed a little and have put on... twenty-eight pounds.
What's even the point of dieting if it all undoes itself in a matter of weeks?!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That's why diets don't work. It has to be a lifestyle change.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

"lifestyle change" is the answers you will get. I'm trying really hard right now to lose 15 myself in the next 6 weeks before I have a hysteroctomy surgery. Good luck to you.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Only idiots think diets work. You have to change your lifestyle.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You’ve got to do it the rest of your life. That’s just simple biology. I’ve got to start logging food again. It sucks but it’s the way it is. Personally I’ve done well with portion control. Like no food is off limits but eat more of some and less than others. And do muscle building exercises. That way you burn more calories.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

You aren't supposed to diet just to lose weight you have to maintain a healthy balance and have a healthy relationship with food and exercise
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As you get older your metabolism slows down. You use less calories just to maintain your body at the same weight. Very gradually reducing calories as you age will help you stay the same weight, but you also need to exercise more to maintain the muscle mass and flexibility we take for granted when young.

A realistic goal would be losing about 1 lb. a month, and some months just staying level with no change. At that rate loss is possible and the weight will stay off long-term.

If you do any severe calorie restriction your body will start to lower your metabolism so you don't starve. Once it does this it is very hard to reset your metabolism to use more calories. Not a good cycle - and this is the reason people often regain more weight than they lose with dramatic calorie cuts.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I have learned that there is a weight set point for everyone. I didn't want to believe this at first since I have dieted my whole life since age 10. But even after starving myself and having an eating disorder, the weight did not come off much for me. When quarantine happened, I wanted so badly for the last thing I was worried about was my weight. So much going on in the world and just wanting to make sure we had food and toilet paper, I forced myself to not be obsessed with my weight. It wasn't easy. But I listened to body positive and anti-diet podcasts and followed body positivity and anti-diet people on instagram. It helped me tremendously! It's been almost 3 years of a new way of life and I can honestly say that even with a weight gain, I am truly happier and at peace with my life at age 49. Like I said, it's not easy, but it was worth it and it feels like a true miracle to have body peace.
newyearnewring
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Diet just means what you eat. A temporary diet will do nothing for long term fat loss. You need a permanent change in the way you eat. I have lost 55 pounds and I have another 35-45 pounds to lose. So far, I have kept off that weight for over a year. I stalled for a long time when I got a new job sitting down all the time and started drinking again. Alcohol has a ton of empty calories and spikes your insulin so I had to remove that and now I'm losing weight again.

The biggest change for me has been learning to balance my blood sugar using fiber. Balancing your blood sugar is not just for people who are diabetic or pre diabetic. I eat fiber with every meal- mostly in the form of vegetables. Yes, even for breakfast. A fiber supplement can help but for me, it was more useful in helping me go to the bathroom rather than actually balancing my meals. When you eat fiber with your meals, your body slows down digestion which keeps you full longer. Simultaneously, your body begins to produce just the right amount of insulin in response to your food digesting, which will prevent you from over eating and from having that post-carb crash. Eat at least 2 cups of veg- preferably leafy greens- with each meal.

Then, focus on lean protein. My goal is 60 grams of lean protein per day and a little more on the days I am lifting heavy weights.

I do try to avoid highly processed, highly refined carbs like your average pasta. But I don't deprive myself of it, either. If we're having Mac and cheese with dinner, I eat my veggies first, then my protein, then my carbs if I'm still full.

I drink a glass of water at least 30 minutes before my meal, nothing to drink during my meal. This helps with digestion and absorption. Per my doctor and nutritionist, I also take a daily multivitamin with iron, and a magnesium/calcium/Vitamin D supplement at night a few hours after I eat dinner. The magnesium also helps you sleep and go to the bathroom, although if you're having a lot of fiber in your diet, you probably won't have a problem anyway.

Last, I have found that heavy cardio does nothing for fat loss. Heavy cardio spikes my cortisol levels which makes me produce the hunger hormone, ghrelin. Instead, I focus on low-intensity cardio (walking) and strength training.

Here is what my average day looks like when it comes to food and exercise.

-Water in the morning on an empty stomach
-Brisk 1/2 mile walk
-Breakfast is two eggs over easy served with rosemary and dried fruit coleslaw (most coleslaw is made with sugar but I remove the sugar and add dried fruit with lots of spices-garlic and rosemary, it's delish), one piece of toast
-30-45 minutes of strength training and mobility training
-Lunch is 1/4 pound carnitas with homemade salsa verde, shredded mixed salad, 1/2 cup black beans with queso fresco. One small toasted corn tortilla.
-Dinner is Meatball subs, except I will have mine with veggies instead of the whole bun. I'll just have half the bun to sop up all the yummy sauce. Instead of the bun, I serve it with a salad or sautéed spinach, bell peppers, etc.
-For dessert, I'll have fresh berries, whipped cream, and a sprinkle of chocolate protein powder.

If we're having pasta for dinner, I eat the pasta. I'm not going to deprive myself because I know that I still eat high fiber, high protein, low sugar 95% of the time. I don't miss the carbs at all.

I learned all of this from the book The Galveston Diet and by trial and error. The book's other general rule of thumb is: 25 grams or more of fiber per day, 25 grams or less of added sugars per day, 25 minutes of strength training 4 days per week and 25 minutes of light cardio 2-3 days per week.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

The struggle is real!

I will point out — that if you had not lost those 15, you’d be up a hand total of 43 pounds, from that original weight.
Locked Previous topicNext topic